Best drag in cold conditions. - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2008, 06:03 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Best drag in cold conditions.

I'm in the process of trying to upgrade one of my ice reels. I bought an Abu Garcia 100u. Seemed like a good reel, but when it got cold, the drag was not smooth at all. I thought is was a fluke so I went to exchange it, but they didn't have the same one so I upgraded to a 300u. I put the thing in the garage to get cold and the same thing happened. Since I rarely fish out of a heated shelter I need a reel with a drag that performs well in the cold. I also plan on using this reel on my ultralight rod during summer. What are your thoughts? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2008, 06:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
OG LOKE

Default Re: Best drag in cold conditions.

300u is a good reel man...not all drag systems are freeze proof...one thing i do to help it is to put on some of that Quantum Hot Sauce.
Old 12-15-2008, 06:06 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttype
What are your thoughts? Thanks.
I take out all the grease from the area of the drag and in the gears and replace it with a light oil so nothing freezes up.

Old 12-15-2008, 06:17 PM   #4 (permalink)

Don't get me wrong I like the reel. The operation of the gears and all was fine in the cold. I just didn't like how the drag became kind of jerky in the cold. I looked at the drag and it is a stainless steel and oiled felt washer setup. Is that the oil that you are referring to?
Old 12-15-2008, 06:22 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Don't get me wrong I like the reel. The operation of the gears and all was fine in the cold. I just didn't like how the drag became kind of jerky in the cold. I looked at the drag and it is a stainless steel and oiled felt washer setup. Is that the oil that you are referring to?
I've never had that type of drag create a problem in the cold. if it's just a light oil (and not grease) on the felt washer that shouldn't freeze and be an issue.

Old 12-15-2008, 06:30 PM   #6 (permalink)

That's what I thought. I have since read that Jamiehughes had the same problem with the Abu reels. Considering that I haven't even fished with this reel I'll probably return it. What reels do you guys use?
Old 12-15-2008, 07:16 PM   #7 (permalink)

Just remember to check the drag EVERYTIME you fish.My middle of the road quality gear likes to be checked each and every time and works great as long as I remember to check.
Old 12-15-2008, 07:19 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
That's what I thought. I have since read that Jamiehughes had the same problem with the Abu reels. Considering that I haven't even fished with this reel I'll probably return it. What reels do you guys use?
I use Shimanos and Daiwas.

Old 12-15-2008, 10:38 PM   #9 (permalink)

I use Tica Cetus SS500s. They work well in the coldand the drag is great! Check them out
RockyMtn.Royster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2008, 11:06 PM   #10 (permalink)

Thanks for the input guys. I was thinking possibly Shimano. I've also heard about the Ticas, but I've never held one in my hand. What retailers carry them so I could check one out?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in