Gas auger!!!!! - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2008, 09:45 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Gas auger!!!!!

I know I know, it seems like everybody is having trouble with augers this year. So yesterday, our Jiffy auger crapped out on us at the lake. It may have been because the temp was EXTREMELY cold, but I am thinking otherwise.

What are the symptoms of an auger that may not have the right oil/gas mix?

We got to the lake and tried to start it and it took forever to start. Then, once it started, it kept petering out and would just shut off and we kept having to start it again. Then, after that happening about 7 times, it just wouldn't start altogether....

Of course, we kept trying and ended up breaking the pullstring because we pulled it too many times. There was plenty of gas, but the dang thing just wouldn't work. Would an improper oil/gas mix cause this or does this sound like a problem with the actual motor? Are augers meant to be tuned up? I am new to the power auger world.....
rivrunnr1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2008, 01:33 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Gas auger!!!!!

hi rivrunnr1,
my name is dan and i am a small engine mechanic at the big tool box and i work on manny ice augers each winter, i actually fixed cfgsteak's auger last week and he posted blog about it on the website. sounds like your auger gave you one heck of a headache! any ways as long as you are sure that you mixed the fuel correctly you can rule that one out although it could be an improper mixture but that could mean your of to sportsmans buying a new one! two cycles do have a hard time starting in extreme temperatures but it sounds to me like its either one of two things. 1 it could have old gas in it any gas that you have had for more than 30 days can and will start to mess up the carb on that engine. or2 you may have fooded it, if you pull the cord more than 5-6 times while its on choke the engine will begin to flood. choke it pull it a few times and then take it off choke and it should start. once a flooded engine starts it may sound weak for a minute but just feather the trottle a bit till it warms up. thats the other thing you got to let those things warm up a bit before you start drilling when its that cold or it will stall out on ya. hope this helps you and feel free to ask any more questions you have! Good luck! oh and if you really need help you can bring it in to our repair shop on holy and county line (8080 S. Holly St. -big tool box_
chevynbowtech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2008, 01:42 PM   #3 (permalink)

Cool thanks for the response man!!! If we end up needing it repaired....we will definitely think of you guys first!!
rivrunnr1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2008, 04:11 PM   #4 (permalink)

Sounds like it's flooded, carry an extra spark plug and the wrench to change it
Chief is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2008, 04:17 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyNbowtech
hi rivrunnr1,
my name is dan and i am a small engine mechanic at the big tool box and i work on manny ice augers each winter, i actually fixed cfgsteak's auger last week and he posted blog about it on the website. sounds like your auger gave you one heck of a headache! any ways as long as you are sure that you mixed the fuel correctly you can rule that one out although it could be an improper mixture but that could mean your of to sportsmans buying a new one! two cycles do have a hard time starting in extreme temperatures but it sounds to me like its either one of two things. 1 it could have old gas in it any gas that you have had for more than 30 days can and will start to mess up the carb on that engine. or2 you may have fooded it, if you pull the cord more than 5-6 times while its on choke the engine will begin to flood. choke it pull it a few times and then take it off choke and it should start. once a flooded engine starts it may sound weak for a minute but just feather the trottle a bit till it warms up. thats the other thing you got to let those things warm up a bit before you start drilling when its that cold or it will stall out on ya. hope this helps you and feel free to ask any more questions you have! Good luck! oh and if you really need help you can bring it in to our repair shop on holy and county line (8080 S. Holly St. -big tool box_
Hey Dan! Glad you signed up!

The auger worked like a dream at Antero this weekend! We landed some PIGS too! Thanks for your help Dan, see ya soon!
Old 12-16-2008, 08:19 PM   #6 (permalink)

Im glad it worked! ya the website is GREAT! havent been out on the hard water yet but this weekend ill be making my first trip out! proly just cherry creek though i cant convince my buddies to head to the hills for REAL ice fishin! how many pig trout did you catch?
chevynbowtech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2008, 08:27 PM   #7 (permalink)

Dan,
Glad you took the time to post on here. I'm down here in the Springs, and my local small engine shop put me through a hard time last winter. After having my Eskimo for six weeks they couldn't get the throttle level I needed ... I'm trying to order it through Eskimo right now.

Would like to know if you can post your basic rates for some of your common services. I would sure like to drive my auger up for a tune-up if your turnaround time is reasonable.

Again, welcome to the forum and perhaps some of us can talk you into viewing your handicraft on the hardwater first hand ... with a rod in hand.

Jeff

"Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll spend all of his money on tackle, teach his children to be responsible conservationists, and most likely have a huge honey-do list at the end of the day."
ColoAngler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2008, 04:22 AM   #8 (permalink)

Rivrunnr, try fresh gas first (easiest) then maybe a new spark plug? My Strikemaster ALWAYS takes a while to warm up before the first hole but then it's good to go for the rest of the day.
Dan, welcome to the site! You will be a great asset to us with tech questions. Do you recomend Sta-bil since auger gas can sit for 3-4 months before being used?
fishinlooney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2008, 06:39 AM   #9 (permalink)

Rivrunnr
Your symptoms sound exactly as my symtoms were with my Jiffy. I am in the Springs and took my auger to Aspen Leaf and the Lawn Mower Doctor. Both places adjusted the carb and it ran great at that altitude. I posted my problem and got a lot of advice. Here is the link:

https://www.coloradofisherman.com/for...?topic=25905.0

I also have a diagram that I can scan in and send.

benderle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2008, 07:43 AM   #10 (permalink)

sometimes on the jiffy augers, if it is a few years old the fuel diaphram will rupture or the primer diaphram will leak causing the engine to not be able to get the right amount of fuel to keep running, this happend to a couple of my older jiffys....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in