Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

Ice Line recomendations??

2K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  andyrm66 
#1 ·
I`m looking for recomandations on what ice line to use.
I have a few rods set up with different lines on them. One rod has a braided line on it that collects ice like crazy, the line feels strong enough to lift the titanic w/(6lb test) but I need cable cutters to cut. Getting line in and out is such an issue i feel I`m bound to loose a fish eventualy. Another rod has mono line that seems fine except it seems to have a ton of memory that i can`t stand, Feels like i`m sending telephone line down the hole. Retying is a sinch and I can bite trim it (no cable cutters needed). The mono line is new this year that I spoolled myself (maybe a misstake). What do you guys use?? I`m sure its all about preference, But I`m just curious???
i`m looking for a 6lb test (all around stuff)
thanx

#2 ·
First, I believe the line you use makes a huge difference. When I was a less experience fisherman and before my ice fishing days, I liked to mussle my fish in and did not rely on my drag system as much, or perhaps at all. I used braided line for its durability and strength and when I had a fish on I knew my line would not break. The last time I ever used braided line was when I was introduced to ice fishing. My cousin took me out to Dowdy and he and his friends all had their line down their holes catching fish left and right. Where I wasn't even getting a nibble. I had the exact set up with bait and lure! The difference was they were all using 4-6 lb monofiliment and flourocarbon line. I was using braided. The minute I changed it up I was on the fish just as they were. Second, I believe they diameter of your line has an impact as well. Thicker line is going to be more visible to fish and efffect the presentation of your lure. Ever heard the term the bigger the better? Think just the opposite for line (depending on water condition and species you are fishing for). I have seen 2 lb compare to 4lb compare to 6lb same presentation, lure and bait. And I would have to say there is a difference on number of bites you will actually get. Lastly, get comfortable with your drag system and you will see you may be able to tone your line diameter a notch or 2. For myself, from fishing different types of water and species I have become very confident in using smaller lines. To answer your question, I prefer Vanish. Great in all conditions. This flouracarbon is strong and low visibility. If your looking for something with more memory Trilene XL isn't bad. I have never had issued with Vanish and I use it year round. Maybe a little longer answer then you wanted, but I wanted to share with you some of the things that has made me more successful in fishing all around and maybe open up some ideas to trying some different things. Good luck in your decision and I'm sure you'll get many other opinions that will work great as well. Hope to see you at the 11 mile tournament!

#7 ·
Depends, I've always use braided because I didn't get to fish much so I didn't want to be spending so much money on line that would need respooling every year because of memory. Now that I fish more I've started to make the transition to flouro and mono.

Something that I do now, is, instead of replacing all your braided line, throw the smallest swivel you can find on there then attach anywhere from 2-10 feet of mono or flouro. The swivel should slide right through almost any ice fishing rod eye, and reel up just fine. Plus the swivel will keep you jig from spinning excessively because of lines with bad memory. Try it out.

#12 ·
gotta concur on florocarbon, i've used berkeley, berkeley vanish, and p-line. I used 4, 6, 8 or 10 all last season ice, both 10, 12, and 14 open water. The knot stregth sucks due to slip, so make sure you got a good knot. It collects a little ice, but i'd say the good parts are strong, low stretch and invisible. I caught a 12 lb, 29 inch laker on 4 lb berkeley floro. Open water, landed a 25.5 inch rainbow out of a river, 8 lb p-line. Good feel too.

And, as slayer says.........drag people........drag

;D

#13 ·
I run 3/4 dia/ 3lb test, fire line crystal, I love the braided line, ( id never use crystal over power pro unless ice fishing, it seems to have some memory in it) knots are 2nd to none, and it can withstand tons of abuse, using that line ive pulled tons of big fish though the ice, and I still catch the little sun fish and perch, but the one thing that sucks is the build up of ice!

#14 ·
Hey bro I have used and had good results with the Berkley Micro Ice in 4lb (I use 4# for everything on the ice). The only thing is if you do a lot of ice fishing and you get snow on your real and thus your line the line will get brittle so you'll have to take some off for the next time out...I guess that really goes without saying with any mono line though.

This year I have a reel spooled up with the Berkley Fire Line and I don't like it all that much. To me it's like waxed dental floss, it is a little harder to snip than the Micro Ice. I don't really like the feel either when jigging...that being said I still have caught fish on it this year. I also don't like that it is expensive and you only get like 50yards of line on a spool...others are like 110 yards per small spool. So keep that in mind if you buy it...may have to keep some other line on and add using the fire line.

I have another reel spooled up with the Gamma Ice and I so far I'm very pleased with how it is handling. It is not like the Berkley fire line and presents jigs well IMO. A little pricey though.

I'm also using regular 4lb Berkley Trilene the stuff I use for my regular open water fishing. It's okay but not the best. For my money I would go with Gamma Ice or the Berkley Micro Ice for ice fishing
line.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.