Ice Line recomendations?? - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2008, 11:15 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Ice Line recomendations??

I`m looking for recomandations on what ice line to use.
I have a few rods set up with different lines on them. One rod has a braided line on it that collects ice like crazy, the line feels strong enough to lift the titanic w/(6lb test) but I need cable cutters to cut. Getting line in and out is such an issue i feel I`m bound to loose a fish eventualy. Another rod has mono line that seems fine except it seems to have a ton of memory that i can`t stand, Feels like i`m sending telephone line down the hole. Retying is a sinch and I can bite trim it (no cable cutters needed). The mono line is new this year that I spoolled myself (maybe a misstake). What do you guys use?? I`m sure its all about preference, But I`m just curious
i`m looking for a 6lb test (all around stuff)
thanx
janiec#8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2008, 01:17 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Ice Line recomendations??

First, I believe the line you use makes a huge difference. When I was a less experience fisherman and before my ice fishing days, I liked to mussle my fish in and did not rely on my drag system as much, or perhaps at all. I used braided line for its durability and strength and when I had a fish on I knew my line would not break. The last time I ever used braided line was when I was introduced to ice fishing. My cousin took me out to Dowdy and he and his friends all had their line down their holes catching fish left and right. Where I wasn't even getting a nibble. I had the exact set up with bait and lure! The difference was they were all using 4-6 lb monofiliment and flourocarbon line. I was using braided. The minute I changed it up I was on the fish just as they were. Second, I believe they diameter of your line has an impact as well. Thicker line is going to be more visible to fish and efffect the presentation of your lure. Ever heard the term the bigger the better? Think just the opposite for line (depending on water condition and species you are fishing for). I have seen 2 lb compare to 4lb compare to 6lb same presentation, lure and bait. And I would have to say there is a difference on number of bites you will actually get. Lastly, get comfortable with your drag system and you will see you may be able to tone your line diameter a notch or 2. For myself, from fishing different types of water and species I have become very confident in using smaller lines. To answer your question, I prefer Vanish. Great in all conditions. This flouracarbon is strong and low visibility. If your looking for something with more memory Trilene XL isn't bad. I have never had issued with Vanish and I use it year round. Maybe a little longer answer then you wanted, but I wanted to share with you some of the things that has made me more successful in fishing all around and maybe open up some ideas to trying some different things. Good luck in your decision and I'm sure you'll get many other opinions that will work great as well. Hope to see you at the 11 mile tournament!
Old 12-21-2008, 03:39 PM   #3 (permalink)

tell us what you really think jangalang I like big game xt berkley about 20lb
unclejay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2008, 08:07 PM   #4 (permalink)

Wow jangalang nice novel!!!!!!!!!! :P :P
I use cajun red 4lb and it works great!
Old 12-21-2008, 09:46 PM   #5 (permalink)

Old 12-21-2008, 10:49 PM   #6 (permalink)

pline 4lb flourocarbon-landed many bigguns from antero on it last year..
Fish head is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2008, 02:55 AM   #7 (permalink)

Depends, I've always use braided because I didn't get to fish much so I didn't want to be spending so much money on line that would need respooling every year because of memory. Now that I fish more I've started to make the transition to flouro and mono.

Something that I do now, is, instead of replacing all your braided line, throw the smallest swivel you can find on there then attach anywhere from 2-10 feet of mono or flouro. The swivel should slide right through almost any ice fishing rod eye, and reel up just fine. Plus the swivel will keep you jig from spinning excessively because of lines with bad memory. Try it out.
odaon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2008, 09:56 AM   #8 (permalink)

i have been using Vanish 6 and 4lb this year exclusively and the 4lb has had more hits by far, using the same jig/bait combo
ripalip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2008, 10:24 AM   #9 (permalink)

I honestly like the xL trilene I like 6lb for strength the L is for limp
unclejay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2008, 02:39 PM   #10 (permalink)

Thanks for the feedback guys, Great info
Do most of You have the store spool it ? or do you do it yourself??
If the store does it free, what the hell right? any bad experieces??
I feel like a sissy even trying braided LOL

Thanks again
janiec#8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in