ice fishing etiquette?? - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2008, 11:04 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default ice fishing etiquette??

i was out at antero yesterday and fishing in the same cove as me was an older gentleman that actually had to use a can to move around a bit on the ice.. well i am fishing away and he comes over a couple of times to chit chat, seems like a really nice guy with lots of info...then a whole group of peeps shows up (probably 10 of them and sets up probably 70 yards away from him, well they can't get their auger started so they go to him and ask to borrow his, he obliges and shows them how to start it and away they go. they drilled like 10 or 12 holes and started fishing, and didn't bring his auger back.. well 1 1/2 hours go by and still no auger so he comes and starts chatting again about how cold it is since the wind started up and he is gonna take off soon if they ever bring his auger back, well he finally walks over to them, and then i see him come back empty handed and they start to drill more holes.. WTF!!! so i get out and am gonna walk over and get his auger back for him but he decides he doesnt want to be a jerk, and they did give him $20 (which he wasnt gonna take, but i am glad he did) and since the wind let up a bit he decided that he wants to stay fishing, so i drill some more holes for him in the cove a bit more out of the wind, and then they finally bring his auger back, 3 hours later... so to the asian fellows with the red quickfish shelters.. good job!!!! that is why no one uses my equipment when i am at a lake, if you are fishing by me and need a couple of holes drilled sweet i'll drill em for ya, but you really kinda put a damper on his fishing yesterday as he wasnt really mobile enough to carry his auger the 70 yards back himself, so he had to fish the same holes for most of the day...not very cool of you guys.....

Old 12-26-2008, 11:47 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: ice fishing etiquette??

That's messed up............drill 'em and bring it right back........that's the right thing to do. Just jerks thinking of themselves.
mogul buster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2008, 11:52 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thats lame. Nice of him to let them borrow it I'd say, but definitely not cool that they didn't bring it right back.

I don't mind drilling holes for somebody, but not going to let them use my auger, it's me that does the drilling. If it breaks, then I'm sure I'd be left with a chitty auger.

Whats wrong with a hand auger anyway?

Rob
Old 12-26-2008, 12:11 PM   #4 (permalink)

Yep - Same here
I'll drill ya some holes - when my rigs are in the water, set-up and fishing - and I'll do the drilling.
You tell me where you want 'em and I'll drill 'em. But 10 people that want holes?
I'd give 'em 10 holes and wish 'em luck.
Want more? Nope - I got fishing to do.

I'd prob have to tell them to be a bit more prepared next time.
Old 12-26-2008, 12:47 PM   #5 (permalink)

yeah i agree i dont mind helping people out but as said i'll be drilling the holes for them i wouldnt let anyone take my stuff
catfishking is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2008, 12:52 PM   #6 (permalink)

Agree wholeheartedly Jamie! Sounds like some pretty ungrateful folks...
Old 12-26-2008, 02:29 PM   #7 (permalink)

At least they gave him $20. People will take advantage if stuff if they think they can
Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2008, 04:42 PM   #8 (permalink)

thats shallow!! ive had many problems on the ise like that and it sucks. i say if you aint got the proper equipttment (even just the basics) then you shouldnt be out there. instead they take advantage of us fellows who make sure we have what we need to be on the ice! i think they oughta paid the poor guy 50 bucks! jerks
chevynbowtech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2008, 05:19 PM   #9 (permalink)

thats screwed up, I will not let anyone except guys I fish with use my auger anymore, had some real dumb asses borrow it one time, never again, I will usally drill holes for anyone that asks or if I see someone really sucking it up with a dull auger : , $20 is nothing if they screw your auger up.....
Bobco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2008, 05:21 PM   #10 (permalink)

ya and the ones who never use augers are sure good at dulling your fresh blades. i like when they DRAG my blades as they walk over to return my auger! makes me cringe
chevynbowtech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in