Setting up Quick Fish Shelter in the Wind - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2008, 07:58 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Setting up Quick Fish Shelter in the Wind

I had a rough day at Hattie in Laramie setting up and moving this tent in the 40-60 mph winds! Wondering if anyone has any tips on getting the Quick Fish up in the wind. Thanks....Oh yeah, there are some good fish up there if you were wondering!
ILikeBigBrooks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2008, 08:33 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Setting up Quick Fish Shelter in the Wind

It can be rough! Almost like a monkey and a football but it can be done.

I've had my best luck when I put down one anchor in one of the corners before I pop out the sides. In fact try to get two anchors in ASAP. Then as soon as I can I toss an anchor tied to one of eyelets. My brother and I did just that with my brother at Antero a couple weeks ago in a brutal wind.
Old 12-29-2008, 09:41 PM   #3 (permalink)

I use a similar technique. First, I got some tow straps and I drill in an ice anchor spike about 3 feet away from where I will get set up. Then I drill my holes for fishing. I put one of the hooks of the tow straps through the handle of the drilled spike. Now I get out my hut from the bag and start opening it with the wind blowing on my back. After I get it all the way open, I take one of the loops on the hut and attach it to the other side of the tow strap.

Position your hut over your holes and then anchor the back down, then you can anchor the rest as well. When all is said and done, I have 3 to 4 corners anchored and 2 tow straps with anchors.

Some key things to remember are: tow rope anchor first, open hut with the wind blowing on your back, when opening your hut do not let the bottom catch the wind keep the bottom on the ice.

Grap a stap on the hut and let the wind do the work on opening your hut. I have tried many different ways on opening the hut and anchoring it down in high winds. For me, this is the best way because I can position my hut exactly where my holes are drilled (which always seemed like a challenge in the past) and not worry about losing my hut in the wind.

I fish 11 mile alot and there are some seriously strong winds. Never lost a hut! Hope this helps. I should have asked for help when I first got mine. Would have saved me countless hrs on figuring out the best way!
Old 12-29-2008, 10:15 PM   #4 (permalink)

I'm going to print off jangalang's directions... they sound good with way more good thought into it than my technique. I get an anchor in on the wind sided (back) asap before I open it up as they turn into a great parasail in that kind of wind. Me and a friend had a heck of a time w/ a QF 3 in bad wind last year - it would have made hilarious video material. I'm getting better w/practice, but I'm not sure I would want to do battle with one by myself in that kind of wind. As far as moving it, I think I would have to pretty much fold it up again in that kind of wind. When the wind is down, it is no problem moving it intact.
Everything (including standing up) is hard in 40-60 mph winds. If you got it done in those conditions, consider it a victory!
CaptainHookkk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in