Glendo walleye trip!! - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2009, 11:44 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Glendo walleye trip!!

Ok going to Glendo next week. Don't know lake very well need some info. Don't need your honey hole will find my own fish or fishing spots.. need bait store info, were to walk on ice locations, and place to maybe RV camp at lake, and ic conditions... thanks guys for info.
Reno NV, Hamburg PA, Rodgers MN,Boise ID,
Kansas City KS, LA Vista NE, Springfeild OR
scottivie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2009, 12:22 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Glendo walleye trip!!

Be careful!!!!!!!! Ice is not uniform up there even when it is cold!

Try the big flat and point at the mouth of Whisky Gulch. Lots of Perch and some Eye's. Airport bay is good sometimes for catfish.
Neal/CO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2009, 01:00 PM   #3 (permalink)

Mike at the Trading Post on Main Street (not Howards by I-25, they are rude and suck IMO) has minnows, snacks, etc and is a great guy. Most people walk on from Reno Cove and go across to the east side - expect open water around the sheet of ice, so take a plank or ladder you can drop onto the ice for access. Whiskey boat ramp is another popular place to enter the lake. I haven't been up for a couple weeks, so I'm not sure how the ice is but as Neal said, be careful - icing glendo ain't like strolling out on Georgetown, there are always thin places and be especially careful around the edges. You can get an atv on, but I always feel better on foot at that place - in fact, I don't take my kids or wife there for ice, it's a little hardcore for them - so be careful, be prepared and don't fish alone. I don't usually camp during winter so not lots of help there (I like to stay at the Lakeview Inn or commute from the in-laws place in Cheyenne), but there is lots of camping around Glendo. You'll be fine if you are self contained or at least be prepared for primitive conditions as most things are shut down for the winter. Fishing has been slower than usual for most this year. Good luck and have fun.
GrnMtn Eye Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2009, 03:15 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for info grnMtn eye Chaser will call to find room for a night stay. Will get fyi on where to fish and on what at bait store and freind at work. his brother lives up there..thanks neal for safty on ice, it sound kinda unsafe in places....! if any one else has info will not leave till tuesday first pm hour....
Reno NV, Hamburg PA, Rodgers MN,Boise ID,
Kansas City KS, LA Vista NE, Springfeild OR
scottivie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2009, 03:32 PM   #5 (permalink)

I should add that Mike also rents rooms above the trading post. I haven't stayed in his yet, but heard they are a little nicer. The lakeview inn has older furnishings, but is a good place to stay as you can get a small kitchen plus bath, hot shower, etc. The lakeview is $25-30 per night depending on how many people split the tab - heard the trading post is ~$40.
GrnMtn Eye Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2009, 04:20 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrnMtn Eye Chaser
(not Howards by I-25, they are rude and suck IMO)
It is so good to see somebody compete with those schmo's. Howard has had the fortune of being the only consistent game in town for so long they have forgotten what customer service is.
fishlip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2009, 10:50 PM   #7 (permalink)

Yea they suck for sure! 7-8 $$ for a bundel of fire wood. Think they have a dirty gene pool. NO Really they do..
Kast and Blast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2009, 08:15 AM   #8 (permalink)

If it were I going, I'd seriously consider fishing near the dam. Easy access, lots of structure,lots of different fish, not that much walking. Kinda-sorta out of the wind a little bit
slayerfish is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2009, 09:15 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAYERFISH
If it were I going, I'd seriously consider fishing near the dam. Easy access, lots of structure,lots of different fish, not that much walking. Kinda-sorta out of the wind a little bit

If you do fish by the dam. Fish the south side when it gets shady! That should happen some time after lunch. Be careful there also! I have seen the ice do some really weird things there! Green Mnt is right. The guys at Howards suck!!!!!!
Neal/CO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2009, 10:41 AM   #10 (permalink)

this link may help
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing...topic=105280.0
make sure your vaccinations are up to date if you go into Howards.
gullunkerson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in