More juice for drill-auger setup - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2005, 09:15 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default More juice for drill-auger setup

I ran out to Boyd to test out a battery cable I made to connect my drill/driver to a larger 12V battery for more juice, so I can drill more holes with my auger attachment.* The ice is not terribly thick there, so it wasn't that big a deal, but it worked fine.* My drill is a 14.4 V, though.* I have a feeling, it would work better with one of the newer high-torque 12 V models.* I have access to one I'm going to try to bring to Elevenmile to try with the auger.
Cutthroat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2005, 10:55 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: More jiuce for drill-auger setup

Come on Cutt whats with the power auger, stick to the hand cranks
Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2005, 11:26 AM   #3 (permalink)

Default Re: More juice for drill-auger setup

I've been using both a drill-attachment and the hand-crank for the last two years. I am happy to use the hand crank, but since I already had a drill/driver, why not experiment and turn it into a po-man's power auger? It kicked butt for me last season.
Old 12-16-2005, 02:54 PM   #4 (permalink)

How big of a hole and what type of auger do you attach to the hand drill
Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2005, 03:08 PM   #5 (permalink)

drill 6" holes, but some drill 8". With some of the 550 in lbs. + torque drills out, today, you have nearly as much torque as some of the gas augers. I would guess you need to add an extra handle to avoid injuring your wrist if you auger bites in, though.

Hatchmaster has a story about losing his auger out of his chuck with a drill attachment like mine. I saw another attachment where the bar (which spins freely on the attachment and is supposed to prevent the auger bit from being able to fall through the hole), was strapped to the drill as extra insurance against the auger dropping out of the chuck. Looks like a good idea.
Old 12-17-2005, 10:48 AM   #6 (permalink)

by the time you drag an auger, drill, cables, and battery it would be more of a pain that it would be worth

ill stick with my moras or step up to a 10" power auger

by the time i get ready for the power auger i hope they have fuel cell powered ones

Said I never had much use for one. Never said I didn't know how to use it.

Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat i
roadkill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2005, 08:45 AM   #7 (permalink)

I use a Sears 19v 400lbs of torque with an 6 in Lazer. At 6 inches of ice, I average about 25-30 holes per battery. Tried it at Wolford(last year) with about 40 inches of ice and well do the math, average goes down to 3-4 holes per battery. I got a new Milwaukee 18volt with 500 lbs of torque that I will try and see if there is a difference. In the end, if you going on thick ice and/or you like bigger holes, gas is the way to go.

Matt
steelfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2005, 10:37 AM   #8 (permalink)

At Elevenmile, yesterday, I ran my 14.4 V drill with a 12 V battery (motorcycle battery), and drilled many holes quite easily through about 15" of ice, with no problem. Hot home and hooked my battery up tot he charger - barely any charge used! I evenhooked up an 8" auger and drilled a hole with it, and that worked great, too.

I'll probably get a 12 or 14 V drill/driver with more torque (12 and 14.4 V drills are pushinug 400 in lbs, now) next year, along with an 8" auger, and use a motorcycle battery to drive it.

I'm quite happy with the results. Not only that, but it cuts faster than a lot of gas augers!
Old 12-22-2005, 08:26 AM   #9 (permalink)

Cutthroat -

Based on your reported success, I'm now thinking of doing somethign similar with an old Mora 8" hand auger and a 12V drill.

Are you using an adaptor kit to mount the auger shafts? found example here - http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=235370#
or does the drill chuck you're using fit the auger shafts you've tried out?

thnx!
RichW

RichW is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2005, 01:04 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkill
by the time you drag an auger, drill, cables, and battery it would be more of a pain that it would be worth

ill stick with my moras or step up to a 10" power auger

by the time i get ready for the power auger i hope they have fuel cell powered ones
The battery is in a bucket and is lightweight, easy to carry. The cords are taped right to the drill will not troubles. The not a problem at all to grab the bucket, set it down where I want to drill, then cut two or three holes, then pick up the bucket and move to the next spot, do the same. Easy, lightweight, etc... If I needed power auger and had to drag a sled in on foot, this would be my first choice, unless they start making gas augers that weight less than 15 lbs. total.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in