Ice Shelters - Colorado Fishing Forum

View Poll Results: What kind do you have and what are it's Advantages and Disadvantages
Flip-Over 25 32.05%
Briefcase 7 8.97%
Cube 23 29.49%
Other 2 2.56%
Multi Person 17 21.79%
Single Man 4 5.13%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2009, 11:00 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Ice Shelters

What kind do you have and what are it's Advantages and Disadvantages?

I am wanting to purchase a new hut for this season but I am un-decided as to what kind to get.

I have been thinking about getting a Flip over style just for the ease of moving from one location to another.

Also I have been looking at the Cube type shelters(Eastman Ice Cube, Shappell Ice House, Eskimo Quickfish, Igloo KillZone)

Just wondering what the advantages and dis-advantages are.

I fish about 99% of the time with company.. Atleast 1 person if not 2.

Thanks in advance, RVinson
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2009, 11:14 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Ice Shelters

This year my goal is one without the hard bottom. The slightest move on the ice with a hard bottomed hut causing the plastic to make a vibration could scare the fish away. Especially with species that are finicky or any older bigger, and smarter, fish...

Rob
Old 09-21-2009, 11:25 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slimer
This year my goal is one without the hard bottom. The slightest move on the ice with a hard bottomed hut causing the plastic to make a vibration could scare the fish away. Especially with species that are finicky or any older bigger, and smarter, fish...

Rob
Exactly the kind of input I am looking for!! The hut i currently have is a briefcase style and the whole bottom is plastic so it would fall under this.. What do you think about flip over style huts that are 1/2 plastic and 1/2 bare ice.

Does standing on the bare ice seem to make your feet gewt any colder?

Still able to heat up the hut easily with a heater?
Old 09-21-2009, 12:22 PM   #4 (permalink)

I have a Clam with the plastic floor. I never thought about the noise issue.

I have been thinking about one of the flip over shelters but they are heavy. It really makes moving a pain.

I want to get a quickfish 6 this year. I'm tired of taking a bunch of people fishing and all the girls crowd into my hut and I'm stuck outside.
hatchmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2009, 12:49 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatchmaster
I have been thinking about one of the flip over shelters but they are heavy. It really makes moving a pain.
Really!! I was thinking about getting a Flip over style because i thought it would make it easier to move around!!

How much weight are we talking about? Enough that it would need to be pulled by a sled/atv?

Great great info!! Thanks a lot!
Old 09-21-2009, 12:55 PM   #6 (permalink)

Multible person flipovers weigh a lot more often requiring an ATV or snowmobile...remember most places you seem to ice fish (11 mile/Antero) dont allow motorized vehicles on the ice surface...

Old 09-21-2009, 01:15 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman
Multible person flipovers weigh a lot more often requiring an ATV or snowmobile...remember most places you seem to ice fish (11 mile/Antero) dont allow motorized vehicles on the ice surface...
Yeah I know most places(in fact all places i have ever ice fished besides Green mountain) do not allow motorized vehicles.... Besides I do not have a ATV or Sled to use.

I need to get a hut that i can pull around on my own.. I guess i did not realize flip overs weigh so much! Glad I started this thread

I would def need a multi-man hut which in terms of flip overs may push me over the pulling by hand weight limit??

OK then if Flip Overs are so damn heavy what is another good choice to be able to move easily and be able to fish a minimum of 3 people?

I was thinking a cube type hut but don't they require a ton of stakes? I hate putting in stakes!! And stakes make it even harder to move!
Old 09-21-2009, 02:32 PM   #8 (permalink)

Just move to Minnesota.

Kidding...

I don't have a flipover, but am getting either a flipover or an open bottom hut before I start my serious ice fishing in mid to late December. I have the clam 2000 with the hard bottom, and I like it - but the solid bottom seems to cause me to miss more fish at the lakes I prefer, especially when fishing shallow. I have the electronics (vex) to see down the hole without leaning over, but when it lights up, I still lean over to peek - and I've seen too many fish scamper due to that plastic absorbing my weight and pushing down the ice....

I fished with JeffMonument and he has a 2 man frabill flipover that was more then big enough to hold 2 augers, about 15 rods between the two of us, and all the crap we needed, and it took both of us to haul it about 200 yards one way. Of course that was 2 years ago, and I was much younger at the time, but I'm sure I can do it again. But I do recall it being one heavy SOB.

Rob
Old 09-21-2009, 03:02 PM   #9 (permalink)

I've got an Eskimo 3 and i thought I would hate staking it in. After a few trips and getting used to it, I can set this shanty up in ten minutes or less. Its light to drag, is very durable, and is the best frigging peice of equipment when the wind is blowing.
Old 09-21-2009, 03:10 PM   #10 (permalink)

Eskimo 3 hands down. Light, roomy, easy to set up, roomy, good in wind, did I say roomy?
blowfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in