The answer for ice hole re-freezing - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2009, 01:31 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default The answer for ice hole re-freezing

First of all I would like to thank the owner of this site for personally allowing me to post about my product. I will keep it brief so as to not give the appearance of spamming. So here goes:

I have invented a thermal reflective ice hole cover that will use air activated hand/body warmers as the heat source to prevent ice from re-forming in ice holes. It is a twelve and a half inch round disk made out of vinyl nitrile closed cell foam, with the underside having a thermal reflective surface of highly polished aluminum fiberglass fabric. A self adhesive warmer will be placed on this side, and then the cover placed over your icehole. There is a center hole to allow for bait/lure changes without having to remove from icehole; as well as a 1/4 inch slot to allow for removal when fighting fish.

I am in the process of getting a provisional patent and the product should be on the market within the next 4-5 weeks. It will be available at Valley Country Tackle (off parker road by Cheery Creek Reservoir), and online at hotcoversonline.com to begin with. I will post a pick of the prototype which does not have the 1/4 in slot. I will keep the forum updated as to the release date.

Once again many thanks to the owner of this forum for allowing me to post this.

Advertisement

Old 10-25-2009, 06:21 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: The answer for ice hole re-freezing

Figured out how to add pics, click on them for a larger view.
Old 10-25-2009, 09:01 AM   #3 (permalink)

I usually only have trouble with holes freezing when I'm not fishing inside a hut...so that leads to a very big question....

Seeing as your product looks like a Frisbee....how do you keep them from blowing away in the wind?
xxxxxThat Guy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2009, 12:41 PM   #4 (permalink)

They weigh about 1/2 a pound, then there is the weight of the hand warmer. They are only 1/2 inch thick so not a lot to catch the wind. If wind is a problem such as when fishing 11 mile I use the ice shavings from the hole I drilled to put around the edges. This is a great product. The reflective material reflectes 98% of radiant heat. It will come with a Grabber body warmer that has an average temperature of 127 degrees. It was designed for the dead stick that is used outside of a hut, although with my single frabill hut that leaks a lot of air i like to use one there as well. Also, will be great when using a tip up that is usually a long way away from the hut.
Old 10-25-2009, 05:03 PM   #5 (permalink)

We have a thread in the Moderators/Board Admins section of the forum entitled

Who's allowed to promote their business on the forum?

It is a list by Donald of whom he has given permission to...hopefully it is an oversight by Donald because your name isnt on it...I have sent him a PM and asked about it in that thread...so hopefully this is on the up and up...

Update...the thread will stay...it was an oversight by our fearless leader Donald...
Old 10-26-2009, 08:29 AM   #6 (permalink)

Interesting!
Curious though, has there been any issues with pointing that shiny of a surface down? I imagine in deep water it would not be a big deal, but in anything less than 12' they have to be able to see that "underside having a thermal reflective surface of highly polished aluminum fiberglass fabric"?
fishlip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2009, 09:15 AM   #7 (permalink)

Zman,
I talked to Don on Saturday at Gander Mountain about getting this product into the store. While talking to him I told him that I recognized him from this forum. He told me he owns this site, and asked him if I could mention my product here and he said that I could.

Fishlip,
As far as the shiny surface, I think that if anything the shiny surface would be an attractant.
But as it will be facing down, it will not recieve any direct light from the sun to make it shine light into the water. The material is specifically designed to reflect radiant heat, it is used in the airline industry.
Old 10-26-2009, 11:51 AM   #8 (permalink)

Looks similar to this one.
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/c....aspx?a=313694
alpinefisher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2009, 12:17 PM   #9 (permalink)

It is similar in that they are both made out of closed cell foam, I have one of those that I ordered with my tip-up from Arctic Fisherman. It does somewhat slow down the re-formation if ice but does nothing to stop it. The difference is the reflective material on my product that when used with a self adhesive air activated warmer will stop the ice from reforming in an ice hole. The Grabber body warmer that will be inclosed puts off an average temperature of 127 degrees. Less time scooping ice = more time fishing.
Old 10-26-2009, 01:12 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by webos1
It is similar in that they are both made out of closed cell foam, I have one of those that I ordered with my tip-up from Arctic Fisherman. It does somewhat slow down the re-formation if ice but does nothing to stop it. The difference is the reflective material on my product that when used with a self adhesive air activated warmer will stop the ice from reforming in an ice hole. The Grabber body warmer that will be inclosed puts off an average temperature of 127 degrees. Less time scooping ice = more time fishing.

good luck with the patent,

couple of questions

have you actually tested this on ice last year? lets see some pix and report on how well it worked. not just statements it will work

most of the time when i have been ice fishing the water level is at the top of the hole (i know it is not always) if i stick an air activated warmer on the botom it will get wet and stop working. and no i am not going to pile up the ice shavings around the hole to make an air space. refroze ice shavings have a majot tendancy to catch and cut/break fine ice lines

you say the average temp of these things are 127 dergees, how many BTU. it may be 127 deg but with out sufficient BTU it may not be able to keep up with the draw from all the ice and cold water.

i did not see a price, how much are these going to sell for,

untill they are proven on the ice, i dont see me spending much for it

good luck, hope you can answer my ?s

Said I never had much use for one. Never said I didn't know how to use it.

Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat i
roadkill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in