pak shacks - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2009, 01:17 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default pak shacks

does anyone use one of these 1 or 3 person ? Do you like it?
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2009, 01:34 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: pak shacks

I bought one the first year they came out. Loved the idea but found the seat put you in too much of a recliner mode to make fishing efficiently comfortable and then on the second time out the cold made the plastic chair hinges brittle and they broke. Took it back to BPS and returned it. The concept is great but not practical.
fishinlooney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2009, 02:44 PM   #3 (permalink)

I looked into them last year but didn't buy one. Those style chairs have a have of digging into the back of my thighs after a while, making it very uncomfortable to scootch forward and sight fish. I like the idea for hiking up to lakes in the early season - still a lot of weight to pack in.

I'd be interested in hearing about how you like it if you buy one.
Old 10-29-2009, 04:10 PM   #4 (permalink)

Bought one and returned it. Seemed kinda cheap material for me. I found a better deal on an Ice Cube.
fishonn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2009, 11:12 AM   #5 (permalink)

Bought one 2 years ago and got rid of it that following year. It works ok as long as there was no wind. There were a few trips that I went on that it was so windy that I couldn’t even fish in there because the wind would blow it over. I even try to custom some slots for some anchors for the front. Still sucked in the wind.
dumaimcold is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2009, 12:12 PM   #6 (permalink)

I have a 1-person shack and have used it once. I'm going to adapt it to a more comfortable chair and add some guy lines for windy situations.
olde town angler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2009, 10:37 PM   #7 (permalink)

Never had any problems w/ the chair. Actually liked them. I'm usually at the edge of the seat while fishing though...

Here's the deal (I have the 1 and 3)

Plusses

- cheap

- lightweight

- don't take up much room

-very easy to carry

Negatives

- WIND

w/ the single, I can step on the flaps and hold it down, but it's still loud. Setting it up or taking it down in strong wind can be very difficult.

w/ the 3. (in strong wind) One person has to hold it down while another gets out. Then it takes at leaast 2 people to keep it from blowing away while putting it away.

Bottom line, They are very nice to have instead of no shelter. I've had great days in the single. It's warm inside even on cold days (them being black helps), and you can see down into the hole better w/ a shelter blocking outside light.

I've hiked 2 miles w/ mine where I probably couldn't have dragged a sled.

Plus my single was at least 50% cheaper than any other single shelter I found...

I can and have used it in strong wind, but almost wasn't worth it...

The 3 has allowed my family to fish w/ me on cold days when they wouldn't have w/out some type of shelter. However, now w/ 2 kids, although it would be big enough. I wouldn't take it on a real windy day. My wife would have to watch the kids while I set up/took down, and the wind would blow the shelter along w/ me away

Instead of the 3, i would recommend a Quickfish 3. Only about $180, and folds up into a small package and can also be carried in a pack..
Old 11-02-2009, 02:32 AM   #8 (permalink)

Hey James,

Here is something I have been thinking about doing to my single for Atown...what if you put 2 to 3 quality metal grommets in that back flap behind the chair and then got 3 of the quality screw in ice anchors that come with the quikfish or the cube?...you think it would work...I havent used mine much because of wind...
Old 11-02-2009, 03:59 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman
Hey James,

Here is something I have been thinking about doing to my single for Atown...what if you put 2 to 3 quality metal grommets in that back flap behind the chair and then got 3 of the quality screw in ice anchors that come with the quikfish or the cube?...you think it would work...I havent used mine much because of wind...
It would definatly be worth a shot... I'd think it would work fine. I took bricks out w/ me one time (not that convenient), and that worked. Still noisy though. Anything that would help. It's defiantly worth the price I paid on really cold days
Old 11-02-2009, 05:01 PM   #10 (permalink)

I just bought 2 of them. I bought the one with the 1 chair ($50). And the 3 Chair ($80)..
I think they will work, they look great can't wait to try them this yr.
luv2fish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in