2 hp or 3 hp Auger? - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2009, 10:52 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default 2 hp or 3 hp Auger?

I'm looking to get a power auger this season and have started my research. I can't decide whether I should get the 2 or 3 hp engine for an 8" blade. I go about 12-15 times per season. I know there are no shortage of opinions on this site, what are your thoughts?

PS - If brand makes a difference, Jiffy is my front-runner at the moment.
jigger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2009, 11:16 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: 2 hp or 3 hp Auger?

Both the gas Augers i have owned had the Tecumseh TC300 Engine.. (Eskimo 8" and Strikemaster 8")

Which is 49cc Approx 2 hp(Per Email from Tecumseh)

I have never had a problem drilling a hole. The deepest ice i drilled through though was about 2 1/2-3'.

I think if you go to a lot of places with 3'+ Thick ice you may want the 3 hp. Otherwise the 2hp should be fine!

Just my opinion and last year was my 1st year ice fishing so take it for what it is.. My opinion
Old 11-03-2009, 11:38 AM   #3 (permalink)

Yeah, my Strikemaster is 2HP with an 8" auger and it got through the ice at 11 Mile two years ago when it was 34" without any problems. The worst ice was the slushy stuff at Turquoise that same year (2007-200. It was even thicker than the 34" at 11 Mile and thank goodness it was slushy because I had to shovel away the top layer just to bust through the bottom. The slushy stuff really can hang up your auger more than clear solid ice like you'll find at 11 Mile.

With that said, I'd be OK with 2HP on an 8" auger but would definitely get 3HP if you opt for 10" (which is bigger than necessary IMO).

Contributing to the plethora of opinions on this forum....

_Colorado
Old 11-03-2009, 12:44 PM   #4 (permalink)

Get as much as you can afford more would be better in case you upgrade to a bigger auger.
Old 11-03-2009, 12:47 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyraxe
Get as much as you can afford more would be better in case you upgrade to a bigger auger.
I would assume the larger the HP the heavier it is?? Not 100% sure but makes sense in my mind, LOL

I would look into the weight diff. before i got the biggest i could afford. The diff. may only be a couple oz or maybe a couple lbs.. Would be worth loking into unless you always take a snowmobile.. in which case weight doesnt matter

Just 2 more cents from me
Old 11-03-2009, 12:58 PM   #6 (permalink)

Hey Jigger, if you're looking at the new Strikemasters with the Solo powerheads, the new 3HP models actually weigh the same or less than the old 2HP versions due to the fact that the transmission is a lot lighter than on the old Tecumseh heads. Some gripe cos it has plastic gears - but gee, there's a lot of plastic in a lot of other stuff and these dudes know how to make a good reliable engine. The old Tecumseh powerheads had a metal gear box.

I'm perfectly happy with both my 2HP powerheads - both the 2 stroke Lazer Mag which hubby has had for more than 12 years, and the Strike Lite which is a 4 stroke. (Like the Strike Lite cos I can fill it up at the pump and the blade kit is lighter.

You'll know your auger when you find it. If you're drilling through thick ice, might want to pick up the 12" drill kit extension. That'll let you drill deeper. For speed, though, the Strike Lite blows away the Lazer. Pops through thick ice at the Mile like nothin' doin'.

FishinGal
Got Fish?
More importantly, SET THE HOOK!

I still say he married me because he took me ice fishing and I still wanted to go fishing with him again!
fishingal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2009, 02:49 PM   #7 (permalink)

Jiffy 3 hp or If you can find one, a 3.5 hp. Try to get 2008 or older year model (new) , as most of the brands, Solo=Strike masher , Eskimo=Viper and some new Jiffy models sure have a fair amount of plastic on the throttle assembly.
Old 11-03-2009, 03:17 PM   #8 (permalink)

I've had a 3 hp Jiffy 10" in the past and currently use a 2 hp StrikeMaster with a 10" blade. The StrikeMaster cuts as well as the Jiffy did, maybe better, and weighs a lot less.

Old 11-03-2009, 05:37 PM   #9 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to PTinCO

I am also in the same position as Jigger, doing some research to make a purchase this season. Keep going back and forth between Jiffy and Strikemaster. All the plastic parts on Strikemaster make me alittle wary, low temps can make plastics pretty brittle. Don't really have any real favorites at this time. Looking at the 350 -380 price range. Likely make the decision when I can look at each in person.
Thanks for all the information.
PTinCO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in