Questions about Ice Huts and Plastic floors - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2009, 07:10 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Questions about Ice Huts and Plastic floors

I already got a Clam 2000 with the plastic floor. Its got room for two comfortably but planning on bringing my entire family this season. A lot of the newer huts dont have the plastic floor which I'm guessing is to save weight.

My question is how much of a difference (temp wise) does having a plastic floor in a ice hut make? I do have a buddy heater running usually.

Do you run into a problem with water everywhere in a warm hut with no plastic flooring?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2009, 08:16 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Questions about Ice Huts and Plastic floors

Ran the heater in a shelter with no floor, which I have. It was fine. If you are stuffing a family in a tent, you won't need a heater anyway LOL
Old 11-04-2009, 09:04 PM   #3 (permalink)

hey man I have a 5600 clam and it helped my feet a little but now the wife and daughter are thinking of going with my son and I this year and I like to bring a lot of junk so im going to sell my 5600 for 275.00. I paid like 375 two years ago and used it mabey 5 times it need a new rod in it for like 39 bucks. pm me if interested
Old 11-05-2009, 01:14 AM   #4 (permalink)

I've run my heater on the ice for years and it works just fine (have had a 1 man and a 2 man flipover). And I wear really warm boots. I suggest invest in some good snowmobile boots, wool socks, and those chemical foot warmers. Nice to not have to move more weight - the flipover's just fine without it. I think the worst thing that ever happened with the heater is that it melted about 1/2" into the snow once - it was still on, so no trouble there, just had to wiggle it out of the snow. Nothin' doin'.

And the melty day, it was about 30 degrees outside. Otherwise, the heater did just fine, all the way down to 8 degrees, where I was toasty warm in the ice house, while it snowed outside!

FishinGal
Got Fish?
More importantly, SET THE HOOK!

I still say he married me because he took me ice fishing and I still wanted to go fishing with him again!
fishingal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2009, 08:17 AM   #5 (permalink)

I have a clam 2000 also, and a year and a half ago bought a fish trap pro. I feel the clam 2k is warmer in general as the wind stays out much better. The flipove is fine, but you do get colder feet with no floor. With the flipover, only when it is warm out did I encounter melting problems. Normally, with a small heater, it is not the case. My kids love the clam 2k...it's like a little clubhouse for them. The only problem I have is that there is always food bits all over the floor when they are done in there, while with the flipover, I don't have that issue as much.
mtman12672 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2009, 01:20 PM   #6 (permalink)

I stopped using a plastic floored shelter when I was blown about 150 yards across the ice on Williams Fork (toward open water) while I was sitting in it one late December in 2001.

I don't have problems with cold on a bottomless shelter. You can have wind blow up from underneath, but you can solve that by kicking or shoveling snow or ice chips from your auger over the outside flap on the bottom provided just for that purpose.
xxxxxThat Guy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2009, 02:20 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by clint walker
I saw a monster one day that was about to bite and my buddy stood in his hut next to mine. The snow crunched and scared my fish away. That happened a few times so now I always use a hut with no floor
My bad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by that guy
I stopped using a plastic floored shelter when I was blown about 150 yards across the ice on Williams Fork (toward open water) while I was sitting in it one late December in 2001.

I don't have problems with cold on a bottomless shelter. You can have wind blow up from underneath, but you can solve that by kicking or shoveling snow or ice chips from your auger over the outside flap on the bottom provided just for that purpose.
I've never had that problem. You should gain some weight like me, and you should be fine.

Rob
Old 11-05-2009, 02:22 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by §limer
Quote:
Originally Posted by that guy

I've never had that problem. You should gain some weight like me, and you should be fine.

Rob
I was lighter back then
xxxxxThat Guy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2009, 02:35 PM   #9 (permalink)

I dont like the noise that a plastic floor makes when you move. Any little noise scares the fish
Old 11-06-2009, 02:00 AM   #10 (permalink)

Hey Clint get a couple pieces of the interlocking garage floor foam...works great for flip overs or cube type shelters...put the straight edge towards the hole or trim off the interlocking wedgies that line can get caught on (dont ask me how I know)...you can sit with your feet and chair on it and it will keep you warmer and dryer...plus nealing on it keeps the knees dry and not as hard on them...muffles any noise transmission to the water below the ice...fits easily in the bottom of your sled...cut a small foot size piece to trim bait on or use as a filleting board...one of the best things I have in my ice sled...plus no weight and wont absorb any water...seems like I have seen them all over the place at one time or another Walmart, sams club, target, home depot, bed bath and beyond...

http://www.amazon.com/Sell-Mats-Anti...7497880&sr=8-1

Neal stands on one of these when he casts purple princess xraps for eyes at night...oops wasnt supposed to give up his secret weapon!...WOOF!...WOOF!!...WOOF!!!...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Interlocking-Pri...item35a3c95d8b

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in