I need your opinion on...... SHAPPELL - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2009, 08:09 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default I need your opinion on...... SHAPPELL

I have been looking into getting a new shelter. Flip-Over style.. i am sure you all know about my other thread.

Anyway I had been looking at getting one with a bench seat.. Then with weight as a factor I had decided that one with the dual swivel chairs would be fine.

Well now I have an offer to sell me a Brand New SHAPPELL Rover 2.0DX

http://www.shappell.com/rover20dxshelter.html

Which is an awesome looking hut. Has the bench seat i wanted an only weights 89lbs!!(Compared to 100+ Pounds for other shelters with bench seats)

Has all the standard features like windows,vents, it blacks out. Does have 2 doors on the front instead of 1 big door which i like.

So my main goal with this thread is to get feedback on SHAPPELL...

Anyone had 1st hand experience with the brand?

How is the quality? (Think it weighs less because it isnt made as well?)

Any feedback is appreciated!
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2009, 08:14 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: I need your opinion on...... SHAPPELL

I had asked in my other thread before i decided to make a seperate thread.. here are the responces I have gotten so far:

fishingal

Hey RVinson, just please tell me you're actually out looking at shelters in person, not just on the internet.

Personal recommend, go check out the fabric. Some of the lower end shelters are made with fabric that is darn noisy in the wind. Oh, this will drive you to drink if you fish windy places like the Mile, Antero, Willams Fork, Granby, etc. I've had a lot of customers who complained about having this happen, and ended up with a higher end Clam or similar shelter.

Darker is also better - my 'affordable' BP-2 (the old blue one) has lighter weight fabric than my Fish Trap Pro. Not as dark inside. Ultimately, is lighter weight, but sometimes that darker tent would have been nice (also doesn't have the 'back door' for a trap link.) All in all, if we had the carrying capacity, we should have gotten two Pro's and a Trap link. It's nice to have the option to fish independently, but still be able to zip both shelters together, enjoy each other's company, share lunch, and fish without getting in each other's way!

And I replied:
Know of any stores locally that carry Shappell?

The Shappell website shoes Bass Pro As a Dealer??

ZMAN
I thought Bass Pro had some up...I dunno, they have a zillion huts up in their store...more than anyone...

jamiehughes

shappell is one of the lower priced economy type shelters out there so be prepared to get what you pay for.. this is really true when you are looking at purchasing a shelter... go with the best that you can afford and you will have years of use out of it if you take care of it..
Old 11-05-2009, 09:04 AM   #3 (permalink)

I have 3 huts: Shappell, Frabill and a Clam. All serve different purposes. I'm not familiar with the bench style Shappell that you have your eye on Rick, but the one I have (5600?) is pretty bullet proof. It goes up in a blink and is very air tight, very high quality material.

The only downside to my Shappell is that it's totally integrated with no apron around the base. I like to put snow or slush on the apron to keep out light pollution and to keep the wind from icing over the holes. It also makes it a bit harder to anchor to the ice without an apron and a little colder inside too. That's one thing I'd double check for - make sure it has an apron. If it does, then I'd probably give it a shot.
Old 11-05-2009, 09:31 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by _colorado
I have 3 huts: Shappell, Frabill and a Clam. All serve different purposes. I'm not familiar with the bench style Shappell that you have your eye on Rick, but the one I have (5600?) is pretty bullet proof. It goes up in a blink and is very air tight, very high quality material.

The only downside to my Shappell is that it's totally integrated with no apron around the base. I like to put snow or slush on the apron to keep out light pollution and to keep the wind from icing over the holes. It also makes it a bit harder to anchor to the ice without an apron and a little colder inside too. That's one thing I'd double check for - make sure it has an apron. If it does, then I'd probably give it a shot.
SWEET!! Thanks a lot for the input! I also did the same thing with the ice/snow on the skirt on my old Frabill. This shelter does have a skirt around the whole front of it... I have actually decided to pick up the Shappell shelter so i will let you guys know how I like it.

It is new in the box so i will be the only owner so i can report on how it holds up and how it has been treated it's whole life. Actually is gunna come with the mfg warranty as well but not the NEW price

I am still down to get more input as well but i Have decided to purchase the Shappell
Old 11-05-2009, 10:52 AM   #5 (permalink)

Frabill has the same shelter the Trecker with bench seat for $325 new only difference the Frabill is lighter and a little taller set up size.
Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2009, 11:00 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trout
Frabill has the same shelter the Trecker with bench seat for $325 new only difference the Frabill is lighter and a little taller set up size.
Really!! I cannot find it on line? Only Frabill shelters i could find had the "Padded stadium seat"?
Old 11-05-2009, 11:23 AM   #7 (permalink)

Pick up the Ice fishing issue of In-Fisherman and in it is a Reeds catalog. They have both Clam 2 man flip for $299 and Frabill has the same style 2 man flip for $299.
Old 11-05-2009, 11:56 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trout
Pick up the Ice fishing issue of In-Fisherman and in it is a Reeds catalog. They have both Clam 2 man flip for $299 and Frabill has the same style 2 man flip for $299.
Found it:

http://www.reedssports.com/Product/p...D=10272&pc=376

Def a good deal... Only prob is it wont tell me how much shipping would be until I place the order and wait for them to call me!!

You think Frabill is a better brand than Shappell?
Old 11-05-2009, 12:07 PM   #9 (permalink)

Yea I think Frabill is better then Shappell, though I don't think that much. I checked out one of those Rover at the Mile and it seemed pretty decent. If it was me I would choose the one thats the best deal between Clam or Frabill. Go to Bass Pro they should have a bunch set up and check out the quality of the fabric.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in