one pricey flasher vs. two cheaper flashers - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2009, 06:51 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default one pricey flasher vs. two cheaper flashers

Hello All

I've been keeping an eye on you lunatics for a while now and thought it was about time I had myself commited as well. My buddy and I have been doing a lot more ice fishing and thought it was time to get a flasher(s). We fish mostly Antero, Williams Fork and Green Mountain. We can't afford two primo flashers, so the question is do we share one good unit ($500) for now or can we get by on two cheaper units ($200 a piece). As far as I can tell the cheaper units don't go as deep, but are they still as accurate ? Not trying to start the old Vex vs. Marcum debate here, but all honest opinions are certainly appreciated.

Cheers
Jeff
boas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2009, 07:02 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: one pricey flasher vs. two cheaper flashers

Go with two! I think all they lack from the high end ones is the zoom feature.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 11-15-2009, 07:02 PM   #3 (permalink)

By the way welcome to the madness forum!
Old 11-15-2009, 07:06 PM   #4 (permalink)

Pretty sure the $200 Marcum has bottom zoom. I had a Marcum vx-1 and upgraed to the Vex 18 and for the most part there is not that much of a difference. I would get either Marcum or Vex but get one with bottom zoom.
Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2009, 07:54 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by boas
Hello All

I've been keeping an eye on you lunatics for a while now and thought it was about time I had myself commited as well. My buddy and I have been doing a lot more ice fishing and thought it was time to get a flasher(s). We fish mostly Antero, Williams Fork and Green Mountain. We can't afford two primo flashers, so the question is do we share one good unit ($500) for now or can we get by on two cheaper units ($200 a piece). As far as I can tell the cheaper units don't go as deep, but are they still as accurate ? Not trying to start the old Vex vs. Marcum debate here, but all honest opinions are certainly appreciated.

Cheers
Jeff
Well put me in the two less expensive units. I think the VX1 can go all the way to 160' and it does have a zoom function. I've been using them for three years and sure I got a few buddies that have F18's F20's and I can match performance with those guys. Are those other units better, ya a little bit. Two to three hundred dollars better ?
Old 11-16-2009, 07:22 AM   #6 (permalink)

X2..... on the 2 lower end units.. Like mentioned the lowest end Marcum ran at $200 last year NEW! I got one and love it!! Goes deeper than i have even needed and also has a bottom zoom feature!

Last year i always had to share mine with friends.. which wasnt too bad.. But this year FFF picked up a Vexilar!! So we each have a unit.

His Vexilar Vs My Marcum!! Let the season begin!
Old 11-16-2009, 09:09 AM   #7 (permalink)

Yea I agree 2 will be better....
troutinco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2009, 10:04 AM   #8 (permalink)

The best advice I can give you is to each get a Marcum VX-1. $200, can go to 120' and has bottom zoom for each different depth. The lowest model that Vexilar makes with bottom zoom is the FL-18, which is around $400. The VX-1 has a good signal blocker that negates other flasher units in the area. Marcums also mess with the Vexilars signal more than the other way around.

If you don't care about bottom zoom (I personally wouldn't be caught with out it) then go with the cheapest Vex.
odaon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2009, 10:46 AM   #9 (permalink)

A one season old showdown sold on ebay recently for 160 .
Old 11-17-2009, 06:48 AM   #10 (permalink)
LRC

I bought a Marcum vx-1 last year at Gander Mountain for $200 and I love it. Did everything I needed. The problem is I spent all year sharing it. Looking to get a second one this year but can't seem to find the same $200 deal on them. Anyone know where I can get one for $200.
LRC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in