Jiffy Stealth STX - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2009, 07:08 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Jiffy Stealth STX

I just ordered the STX 2hp, what sold me was three year warranty and the blades. Do any of you guys have or know of someone who has this machine. Wanting to hear some reviews... to justify the high price of this thing.
daredevil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2009, 10:27 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Jiffy Stealth STX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daredevil
I just ordered the STX 2hp, what sold me was three year warranty and the blades. Do any of you guys have or know of someone who has this machine. Wanting to hear some reviews... to justify the high price of this thing.
i have the 3hp.. you aint gonna like the price of replacement blades, about $80 bucks a set. they work good but do get dull rather quick. and i ended up using my strikemaster lazer mag 2hp way more last year, because with a fresh chipper blade on it it seemed to cut just as fast as the jiffy and weighed a bunch less and super easy to change the blade on as compared to the jiffy...butlike i said mine is the 3hp so yours should be a bunch lighter and i am sure that you will love the jiffy gearbox, probably the strongest in the business...
Old 11-17-2009, 07:40 AM   #3 (permalink)

Our buddy Crazy T has the 10" one and its a piece of junk. The thing barely cuts holes from day one. I told him Jiffy is known for great customer service and send it back and bet they replace it. Well he does just that and they send it back with a note stating there's nothing wrong with it.
I have the old school Jiffy black and white 3 hp 10" and after 15 plus years it still works great but it uses the chipper blade which is easy to change and sharpen. If I was to get another auger I want to try a 8" strike Master they are really lite and a 8" hole cuts allot faster.
Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2009, 10:33 AM   #4 (permalink)

Yep, I'm with Trout. Cancel your order and get a Strikemaster! I'm use to drilling with my Strikemaster and when I use those tank Jiffy's, I about through my back out when I break through... Mobility is the key and the Strikemaster will make you more willing to move and keep drilling.
Old 11-17-2009, 10:56 AM   #5 (permalink)

I own the 3hp STX. I love it!!!! Seems to cut faster than my buddies Strikemaster. I have not had any of the issues discussed earlier. As for the weight of the Jiffy - I only weigh 160 and it does not bother me a bit. I damn sure would'nt let the weight difference between the two make your decision. The difference in weight is roughly 10lbs I believe - not a big deal at all.
Old 11-17-2009, 11:12 AM   #6 (permalink)

Whats the warranty on the blades cover? That they wont break or wont get dull?

Just wondering why they are $68

EDIT!! Found this on there website:

# STEALTH STX Cutting Technology - Serrated Ripper Blade and Power Point Blades - last 2-3 times longer than any blade on the market, which give the owner 2-3 times more fishing time. Ideal for initial drilling and redrilling of ice holes.

# STEALTH STX 1-2-3 LIMITED WARRANTY, the only ice drill to offer 1 Year Limited Warranty on the engine, 2 Year Limited Warranty on the gearbox, and 3 Year STEALTH STX blade sharpening or a blade replacement limited warranty.
Old 11-17-2009, 02:17 PM   #7 (permalink)

I got the 3hp STX also and I've had absolutely no problems with them. Starts up everytime. Might need 2-3 pulls after sitting there for a month but eventually starts. I always use 91 octane though.

As for cutting i think it cuts pretty good. It's my first gas auger so i dont have anything to compare it to.
Old 11-17-2009, 09:40 PM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks for the feed back guys. You guys helped settle my mind. First of all this is great site. there's more info on here then asking the pros at BPS. After reading this the decision was easy. Jamie the guy I really wanted to her from answered first, thank you. Heron Laker said, I should cancel my order so I did. I went with the Jiffy 3hp STX 8" ,Because 1. the 123 warranty. 2. Strikemaster looks like a lot of plastic. 3.Jiffy is made in the USA BABY 4. Cutting through 24" of ice in 5 seconds is what I'm after
daredevil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2009, 09:52 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daredevil
Thanks for the feed back guys. You guys helped settle my mind. First of all this is great site. there's more info on here then asking the pros at BPS. After reading this the decision was easy. Jamie the guy I really wanted to her from answered first, thank you. Heron Laker said, I should cancel my order so I did. I went with the Jiffy 3hp STX 8" ,Because 1. the 123 warranty. 2. Strikemaster looks like a lot of plastic. 3.Jiffy is made in the USA BABY 4. Cutting through 24" of ice in 5 seconds is what I'm after
you will like it, the new jiffy's are soooo pretty... and that smaller 8 inch will blaze through the ice, mine are all 10's so they dont cut near as fast... keep a little file with ya in your tackle box so you can touch up the blades a bit just in case you hit some gravel on the ice or hit something under the snow on the ice... smacking a rock will ruin your day of fishing because once those blades get bad like that you will blow the thing up trying to get it to cut a hole...just an fyi, a file is cheap insurance....my first jiffy was an 8 inch and i cut thousands of holes with that thing, it was just a chipper blade model and ran pretty much every year no matter what i did to store it...
Old 11-18-2009, 07:26 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heron Laker
Yep, I'm with Trout. Cancel your order and get a Strikemaster! I'm use to drilling with my Strikemaster and when I use those tank Jiffy's, I about through my back out when I break through... Mobility is the key and the Strikemaster will make you more willing to move and keep drilling.
Wow hot rod Jiffy are still the best I just want a strike Master to match my new ice bibs and jacket I'm pretty sure Big T just got a lemon and that happens any where. The Strike's are lighter but is there a sacrifice for the light weight because of the use of allot of plastic.. Then again Slayer has a 8" Strike from 81 that still works really good and I bet that thing has cut more holes then any power auger in Colo. If its me I go with a new 8" either Jiffy or Strike at the best price.
Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in