Storing Waxies and Mealworms - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2009, 08:43 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Storing Waxies and Mealworms

Was wondering how everyone stores their bait between trips so they stay "good" longer. I've heard some go in fridge, some don't, so wanted to get what you've found to be the best. Also, I've got a couple of those bait pucks...should I keep the bait in there when I store them or move them to a different container. I hate opening up a container to find "black dead waxies" and dead, dry mealworms.

Wanted to pick some up now before the season starts and have them ready to go rather than running out before every trip to buy some.
mtman12672 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2009, 08:59 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Storing Waxies and Mealworms

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtman12672
Was wondering how everyone stores their bait between trips so they stay "good" longer. I've heard some go in fridge, some don't, so wanted to get what you've found to be the best. Also, I've got a couple of those bait pucks...should I keep the bait in there when I store them or move them to a different container. I hate opening up a container to find "black dead waxies" and dead, dry mealworms.

Wanted to pick some up now before the season starts and have them ready to go rather than running out before every trip to buy some.
I dont have much ecperience.. But my opinion is that they are fine in the bait pucks..

I actually had some mealworms in my fridge in my baitpuck since last season... They were still alive last weekend!!(Not a single dead dry one!!)

I decided to release them though because they were not active at all and would barely move.. might have just been cold.. But I already had bought some fresh ones anyway antisipating that mine would be dead!
Old 11-19-2009, 09:04 AM   #3 (permalink)

Dump em, feed a fish and buy new ones each trip.
darrin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2009, 09:06 AM   #4 (permalink)

I ordered a thousand or so mealworms that arrived in the mail the first week of January. They were in a flour sack with newspaper inside. At the end of February, I dumped them into a tupperwear container with a chopped up potato. I returned them to the flour sack and stored them in a cardboard bag in my basement. I eventually threw them away in July I think. (might have been even later) A majority were still alive.
Old 11-19-2009, 09:23 AM   #5 (permalink)

If you are storing wax worms, they usually last only 3-5 weeks under ideal storage conditions.
Keep them around 60 degrees. If put in the fridge, try using the butter storage area because it's not as cold as other areas. Make sure you have good bedding for them. Wood shavings like you use for hampster cages works great. Make sure the container is vented and you have no humidity. If the container gets damp, change the bedding. Keep the waxies in an interior coat pocket so they don't freeze while fishing.
I've had very good quality waxies from Petco.
As far a mealies go, they last almost forever and don't need a lot of attention like waxies.
Old 11-19-2009, 11:30 PM   #6 (permalink)

No reason to dump the ones you don't use!

I keep my mealies in the bottom shelf of the fridge in a bait puck and they do great! I store the waxies in a bait puck next to a window and they do okay.
alpinefisher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2009, 01:08 AM   #7 (permalink)

We've had mealworms that last for-freakin-ever in the garage refrigerator. I honestly don't recall what I have it set at - the 'real food' is in the house, but stuff isn't freezing in the refrigerator compartment.

Boy, waxies, that's a different subject. They are super temperature sensitive - we've had the plastic tubs they come in from the bait shop freeze out in the sleds - dumb move on our part.

Either way, those bait pucks sure do work. They have a teeny 'air' hole and are screwed shut - escape proof! The plastic is thicker than the Lindy Grub Getters - I love them, but have had a few pop open and have had contents go flying - and that thicker plastic seems to protect them better from the cold.

(Yeah, we did have some, um, maggots, I think (hubby is the only one to know for sure - he fishes a lot more than I get to), that just kinda dried out and turned black.)

The killer fresh mealworms we get at Gene Taylor's in Gunnison come packed in a mix of sawdust and oatmeal. But as they actually have food and if they aren't refrigerated, you'll end up with huge beetle pupae before too long. Didn't keep 'em to see what they became.

FishinGal
Got Fish?
More importantly, SET THE HOOK!

I still say he married me because he took me ice fishing and I still wanted to go fishing with him again!
fishingal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2009, 09:14 AM   #8 (permalink)

I'll start storing mine under the wifes pillow. I'll let you guys know how that goes over.
Old 11-20-2009, 09:39 AM   #9 (permalink)

Bait pucks get my vote. or if your on a budget ask you neighbor to save his chew/snuff cans.
Old 11-20-2009, 02:56 PM   #10 (permalink)

Has anyone ever tried this stuff. It is a preserved type of bait and it may solve the problem with wax worms dying. Here is a link: http://www.fisherschoicebait.com/

Randy
Fhallest is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in