Slush season is coming... - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2009, 07:21 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Slush season is coming...

For those that are interested, a quick review of slush on the ice.

https://www.coloradofisherman.com/for...?topic=40855.0

Slush Defined
First of all, slush conditions is a bad thing never to be taken lightly. Real slush, not "slushy conditions", occurs regardless of air temperature and does NOT and will NEVER occur from melting snow. If the snow is melting and "slushy", nobody here even gives a half a hoot about it. Real slush occurs when there's too much snow on top of the lake ice (see #1 ). The weight of the snow pushes the ice down below the normal level surface of the water. The ice cracks due to bending (see #2 ) and the water heads up through the crack(s) to where it wants to be which is back to it's normal surface level (see #3 ). The water doesn't care if there's a ton of fresh powder snow up there, it just has to get back to level. As a result, it mixes with the snow usually in large pools on top of the ice but well below the top of that seemingly harmless, beckoning snow. Think of that clean white snow as the beautiful mermaid and the slush would be the ship-eating rocks just under the surface. As slush sits under the fresh, fluffy, undisturbed snow, it lies insulated from the -30 (and colder) degree temps and does not freeze until the snow on top of it has been compressed in some way. The three main ways that snow can be compressed are by: 1. human/animal disturbance, 2. warming air-temps which cause the snow crystals to break down and the snow to settle which makes it lose its insulation quality, and, 3. the heat from alien spaceship exhaust pipes which has never been proven, but the theory does have its believers. For right now, go with reasons 1 and 2. When the insulation layer is lost, the slush turns to ice and that's a good thing.
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2009, 07:32 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Slush season is coming...

i hate slush.. so does my 4 wheeler... last year wasnt terrible where we go as they didnt have "feet" of snow like they did the year before...
Old 11-28-2009, 07:55 PM   #3 (permalink)

Phuking Slush !
Old 11-30-2009, 01:33 AM   #4 (permalink)

I knew it. Tried to tell the locals. Those darn green guys are getting us one way or another. Last year they abducted me... now all the wax worms i put on now glow instantly... anybody ever have that happen to them? Seems to help with the bite though... win some lose some
Old 11-30-2009, 07:58 AM   #5 (permalink)

Late Jan 2008,Grand Lake had at least 2 feet of snow and slush, yes i got Horribly stuck, Thanks to some snow mobiles we got out. That ended my Tourney, said the heck (LL) with it! Made up for it with all I could eat King crab at the Sagebrush.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in