Snomobile mainenance? - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2009, 11:06 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Snomobile mainenance?

I purchased a 96 polaris indy that is oil injected and I am wondering what kind of injection oil to use. Do I go synthetic or can I use any of the polaris injection oil?

What about the plastic ski boots? Are they consiered an upgrade and is it worth buying them or not?

Lastly, any tricks to keeping this machine running well.? (for the polaris guys or experienced)

Thanks in advance...
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2009, 11:08 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Snomobile mainenance?

Sorry for the typing, my fingers are not working this morning...
Old 11-29-2009, 11:23 AM   #3 (permalink)

I prefer synthetic, costs more, but worth it.
I purchased a 2000 Polaris Indy last year and did a ton of work to get it ready and learned a lot.
Send me a PM if I can be of any help.
Chris
Old 11-29-2009, 12:03 PM   #4 (permalink)

I use AMSOIL Interceptor in my '96 Indy. Just be sure to either use most of what in the reservoir or suck it out. It will mix with whats in there, but I like to get out the other stuff before.

Another item I use is SEAFOAM - found at AutoZone or other parts stores. It cleans the carbs and stabilizes the gas. Its been around a long time, works good

Or - you can pull off the carbs and clean them - its not that hard to do.

Buy a new belt to start the season, it affects many things other than making the sled move!

Change the spark plugs

Remember - all you need is good fuel, good air, good spark and those things will run!
Old 11-29-2009, 12:32 PM   #5 (permalink)

check the jets in that baby and make sure it is right for where you are going ot ride it, take carbs off and clean is good starting point . ski boots are great investment for old metal skis, replace wear bars on skis if needed, I like hard bars, carbides tear the crap out of every thing they touch. grease up all the suspension points, steering. grease jack shaft behind clutch, change gear oil. polaris standard injection oil is fine for that baby. look everything over and if you looks questionable change it. Shadetree powersports is super for parts online, or ebay of course. my icefishing ride is a 96 indy sport touring, been a rock solid ride.
Bobco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2009, 06:21 PM   #6 (permalink)

Here is a 10 point checklist that covers most everything that was stated above - there are even pics!

http://snowridermag.com/2009/11/snow...-season-check/
Old 11-30-2009, 08:26 PM   #7 (permalink)

There was a brand new belt put on it. The guy changed out the cog bearings and put a new track on it a year ago. He also put and new primary and secondary clutch. He put a new windshield and added a reverse gear to it. He also had it winterized and when he started it for me it smoked like a pig. Now that it is in my garage I start it every now and then it does not smoke anymore. It has one grip that is ripped, that will need to be changed..

Thanks for all the info this helps me get my rig ready for the ice.

Now any reccomendations as to what lakes I can fish with the snow machine. I currently go to Blue mesa ansd Taylor and will also be going to the Granby tourney. The machine was purchased in grand lake so I think the jets are set for that area.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in