Wet Suit? - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2009, 12:51 AM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to TopSlugger4
Default Wet Suit?

I posted this in response to Slayer's post about the scary ice at Antero, but it got barried at the end.

Out of my own curiosity...wouldn't it make sense to go Ice fishing in a wet suit as not only an under layer of warmth, but as a precautionary measure?

To me it would be like wearing a life jacket on a float trip..it usually stays dry but I've seen enough carnage amongst experienced boaters to remind me to always wear one.

Likewise, chances are when your out on the hardtop your not going to fall through if your playing it safe, but nothing is a guaranteed. If I spent a lot of time on the ice, I wouldn't mind that extra layer of security.

Your Thoughts...

TopSlugger4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2009, 01:21 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Wet Suit?

How expensive is a good wetsuit? How uncomfortable would it be sitting all day? Would it provide good insulation in subfreezing temperatures? I don't know anything about wetsuits.

If it's anything like wearing neoprene chest waders I would think it would be bulky, uncomfotable, and not of much use.

Old 11-30-2009, 01:40 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofindyourowndamnfish
How expensive is a good wetsuit? How uncomfortable would it be sitting all day? Would it provide good insulation in subfreezing temperatures? I don't know anything about wetsuits.

If it's anything like wearing neoprene chest waders I would think it would be bulky, uncomfotable, and not of much use.

I don't think a wetsuit would gain you much in that cold of water, that is probably why pretty much all coldwater divers wear drysuits. Either would be uncomfortable at best and god forbid you need to pee during the day's outing! Obviously the unthinkable could happen even if you are going out in ice conditions that are comparitively very safe. Here is something to think about........I am willing to bet that the odds of you dying or being gravely injured in a car accident on the way to the lake to ice fish are exponentially greater than meeting your demise by going thru the ice(provided you are going on "safe" ice as far as thickness is concerned). Best just play it safe and stay in the recliner at the house.
Old 11-30-2009, 02:34 AM   #4 (permalink)

hahaha thx for the good laugh. Unless this was a serious question. In that case I have no experience in this area. But I believe there is a forum member named Scuba Steve that may have some tips. LOL

In all seriousness. If I go in the drink my priorities are as follows:

1. My first concern if fully submerged is to seal up and hold my breath to prevent gasping or the intake of freezing water.

2. Once muscles relax enough to breathe my next step is to get out either via rope, spikes, or kick/float/roll method.

3. My last concern will be hypothermia. Strip heavy wet layers and raise heart rate. Then warm and dry clothes in truck or heated shelter or what ever.

The only time I can see the wet suit being helpful is if your miles away from your vehicle. No shelter or heater in severe conditions.

Understand this is JMO and no survival guide. So take it for what its worth.

Old 11-30-2009, 03:05 AM   #5 (permalink)

Good points...definitely an unpractical use in hindsight.
Old 11-30-2009, 11:25 AM   #6 (permalink)

I'm with Clint. I had a guy in the other day buying an Ice Armor suit (the gray one) as he was off to Alaska to be an Ice Road Trucker. He was considering wearing a wetsuit underneath. He was Russian, and it was hard to explain to him that all things considered, if your cab goes through the ice, it was basically nice knowin ya. He did complain about how hot he was in the Ice Armor though - the Carhartt Arctic bibs didn't have the same results.

Anybody ever get the DVD that ships from Strikemaster on early ice safety - ol' Dave Genz is out there with his Ice Armor suit on, his self-inflating PFD and hauling his ice house. He has a spud in one hand and walks over to where the spud pops through, then backs up ten feet.

I'm hypersensitive to most latex - years of working in healthcare around latex gloves did it to me. The only neoprene that comes anywhere near me is the neoprene booties on my waders and my occasional wearing of neoprene gloves, or the cuffs on my Ice Armor jacket. I don't like the feel of neo, and the gloves really aren't that warm.

And hubby and I have always carried a bag of dry warm clothes in the car for just that time we do fall in.

FishinGal
Got Fish?
More importantly, SET THE HOOK!

I still say he married me because he took me ice fishing and I still wanted to go fishing with him again!
fishingal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2009, 01:03 PM   #7 (permalink)

Most of the new super ice fishing suits will float about 300-400 lbs. and run about $350 to $500
Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2009, 01:39 PM   #8 (permalink)

early season or thin ice I wear my neoprene waders. Any type of waterproof protection is better than nothin. Yes you might take in water from the top but you will not have anywhere near the exposure to the cold water. Which gives you more time to get out yourself or wait for help. If they have the belt that also gives you boyancy in the legs as well . The times I have gone tru ice it was a fairly slow goin in the water spread out your arms and grab the sides or edge the top half of your chest may not even get wet. The most important thing is not to panic !!!!!!!! There are a huge amount of ice safty videos on line everyone shoud watch them !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-30-2009, 02:19 PM   #9 (permalink)

My only thought towards wearing waders would be once you do have to pull yourself up, it's that much more weight you gotta pull out along with your arse.
Old 11-30-2009, 07:32 PM   #10 (permalink)

Ten times easier than wet clothes

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in