Going from Pop UP style to Flip over style, need input - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2009, 04:27 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Going from Pop UP style to Flip over style, need input

So I was thinking about a new Cla, Summit, the extra 2 feet over the Eastman I have would be nice. But then I was also thinking about the Yukon. The weight would suck when it is being pulled by hand. For those of you with flip over style shelters, is there plenty of room for your auger, food, heater, tackle in the sled? That is my main concern. When I get back from the UK Thursday I will of course be driving by Bass Pro and have to stop. Whats your input on the flip overs............
andyrm66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2009, 04:42 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Going from Pop UP style to Flip over style, need input

Plenty of room in both of my flip-overs for all that you mentioned.(I have a frabil and shappel) One thing I really like about the shappel is that it has a big zippered access at the back of the hut that allows you to "reach-through" to get stuff out of the sled when the hut is stowed. It also has the padded bench seat with a big heavy mesh under-seat storage loft that is handy for your rods and stuff. As for the extra weight of the flip-over, I guess it all depends on how much uphill you have to do on foot as to how it will affect you.
Old 12-01-2009, 04:47 PM   #3 (permalink)

I've only owned and fished out of one hut. By end of season I can tell you for sure.
Old 12-01-2009, 10:06 PM   #4 (permalink)

I have had a clam jr. and a clam scout. The flip-over scout was hands and feet above the clam jr. I just bought a clam nanook 2-man flipover and it is hands and feet above the scout. I left 1 seat out of it and saved 12 lbs or so. Which means it only weighs 78lbs. TONS of room for 1-man. I didnt like the scout because there wasnt enough room to work my jigging poles. I dont like jigging with those 28"ers, Mine are like 40-42" long. Gotta set the hook on those kastys.

The clams now have the new-style fabric-nylon instead of canvas. Plenty of room for all your crap-
slayerfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2009, 10:07 PM   #5 (permalink)

I had the fish trap guide and it had plenty of room in the sled...Sold it because of weight when pulled by hand...
Old 12-01-2009, 11:44 PM   #6 (permalink)

both styles work great , but the flip overs can get hard to pull in heavier snow , i have both styles if your just needing something to get your gear out on the lake , a real nice sled on skis can be made out of 1 sheet of plywood that will carry all your gear and tent style popup shelter , and will pull alot easier than any of the larger flip over huts , if you have a snowmobile the larger flip overs are awesome to fish out of .its nice to have both styles for diffrent lakes that you cant use snowmobiles
coloradofisher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2009, 03:23 AM   #7 (permalink)

HMM I have a jet sled for everything now. Most times I am pulling behind a snowmobile, but there are times when I am not, like at the Fork, and maybe a couple other places. This is a hard one. The popup style has served me well, but not always the best in the wind, but for the most part no problems, except and Gross. Do they flip overs have ANY problems in the wind? I was looking at the Yukon, any input there? Seems like, it may be coming down to personal preferance for me.

Thanks again.
Old 12-02-2009, 06:13 AM   #8 (permalink)

I've got an Otter Cottage flip over which is similar to the smaller Clams.Because of the size, I'm limited to a 28" rod for setting the hook as compared to what Slayerfish can use. If possible you may want to sit in one with your rod of choice to see if you have enough room. I've lost a number of fish on the hookset because I've hit the top of the shanty and that's even when keeping the rod tip low to the hole.
coboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2009, 07:43 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAYERFISH
I didnt like the scout because there wasnt enough room to work my jigging poles. I dont like jigging with those 28"ers, Mine are like 40-42" long. Gotta set the hook on those kastys.
i have the same problem in my fish trap pro, i dont know how many times i hit the roof during a hookset and am trying to reel to keep the tension on while the pole is all the way up there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyrm66
Do they flip overs have ANY problems in the wind? I was looking at the Yukon, any input there? Seems like, it may be coming down to personal preferance for me.
i think that the flip ups do much better in the wind, if you put the back of the shelter into the wind and you have your support poles in they do very good, in strong wind you still need to anchor pretty mucha any shelter down tho.
Old 12-02-2009, 09:22 AM   #10 (permalink)

I have back problems so the boat seats sound nice. Though I do like the weight aspect of a popup style, and the extra 2 feet on the Summit is my main selling point. All the flip overs are narrower than my current Ice Cube, (except the voyager $$) so if want wider its going to be $600+ or a summit. I will have to go and look at BPS tomorrow. One thing that bugged me about the frabills I looked at was not being able to stand all the way up. It just annoys me leaning over.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in