Lakers - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2009, 12:02 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Lakers

Hey all. Haven't posted in awhile. My son is taking a break from competitive hockey this winter, so we'll have a lot more time for snowboarding and ice fishing. This year, I have my sights set on lake trout. I've caught exactly one in my life at Twin Lakes and believe it or not, that's what I was fishing for. It was in the summer, though.

I treated myself to a gas auger and now I'm turning my attention to electronics. I plan on going to the two panels by Nathan Zelinsky and Bernie Keefe to arm myself with some knowledge. I really want a flasher, but I'm pretty thrifty when it comes to gear. I don't mind spending some cash, but will I really get a benefit from it? I've used fish finders in the past, but very cheap ones. I've found them useful for finding schools of fish. I have a handheld LCD model that I can screw the transducer on a broom handle and point it like a flashlight. If I'm convinced there are fish under me, It allows me to be more persistent and try different presentations. That's the extent of my electronics experience. My handheld has been acting up and showing hundreds of false fish.

Will a Vex FL8 improve my chances enough to justify the $300+ I'll drop on one? I've read about them and how you can tell the difference between baitfish, gamefish and even your lure. Can I accomplish the same thing with a cheaper sonar like a fishin buddy?
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2009, 12:08 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Lakers

you cant go wrong with a flasher , they are worth every poney
kokaneeking is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2009, 12:13 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuit's Dad
Will a Vex FL8 improve my chances enough to justify the $300+ I'll drop on one? I've read about them and how you can tell the difference between baitfish, gamefish and even your lure. Can I accomplish the same thing with a cheaper sonar like a fishin buddy?
I think a good sonar is the #1 piece of equipment you need to fish lake trout besides an auger and your rod. Being able to see an individual fish, how it reacts to your presentation, and how close it is to your jig so you know when to be on the lookout for that often very subtle bite are absolutely critical to maximizing your success.

No, you cannot duplicate what a Vexilar will show you with a Fishin Buddy.

If you are going to target lakers specifically I recommend that you pay the extra and get one with a bottom zoom, such as the FL-18. With that you can watch the bottom 6 feet of the water column on the left side of the dial, and the entire water column on the right side. Most of your fish will show up in the bottom 6 feet, but not all of them. The extra detail you get in that 6 feet of bottom zoom is very, very useful.

That's my opinion.

Old 12-03-2009, 12:35 PM   #4 (permalink)

After 3 seasons of trying to ice fish blind and in the cold, I did some research and then I spent some money last year to upgrade my ice fishing experiance. My Quickfilp3 and my Vexilar FL-12 were the biggest chunk of change in that spree.

Well next trip out with the Vex I caught my first fish through ice. It was also my first Lake trout. I did not get skunked the rest of the season either when I went out. Needless to say I'm itching for this season!

My advice: Get a Flasher.
As stated the FL-18 will get you a bottom zoom feature etc...the
FL-8 will work just as good it just wont have a bottom zoom feature. Marcum and Hummingbird are good flashers too. There is also the Showdown which I have heard good things about, but it is different than a Flasher type of sonar.

I dont have and have not seen the Zoom feature in use so honestly I dont know what I'm missing. And I dont want to know becasue then i'm just going to want to upgrade anyway then.....
troutinco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2009, 12:42 PM   #5 (permalink)

Yes, get one. They are terrific and very helpful.

If you're price sensitive, then get a reconditioned unit directly from Vexilar

http://vexilar.com/pages/products/products_outlet.html
xxxxxThat Guy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2009, 12:52 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks guys. I went ahead and took the plunge. I just bought a new FL-18 with the Genz pack for $369 shippped. This seems to be a good deal. Fishing is cool. Freezing my butt off watching a hole is not. Let's hope this helps me do more of the latter, LOL.
Old 12-03-2009, 01:00 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuit's Dad
Thanks guys. I went ahead and took the plunge. I just bought a new FL-18 with the Genz pack for $369 shippped. This seems to be a good deal.
That is a good deal. You'll love it.

Old 12-03-2009, 01:13 PM   #8 (permalink)

Genz vs Pro pack vs Ultra pack is just more to carry. More organized with the ultra pack, but the genz pack will work just fine for ya! Thats a hell of a price too. Maybe I'll have to upgrade and get the genz pack also...

Rob
Old 12-03-2009, 01:28 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by §limer
Genz vs Pro pack vs Ultra pack is just more to carry. More organized with the ultra pack, but the genz pack will work just fine for ya! Thats a hell of a price too. Maybe I'll have to upgrade and get the genz pack also...

Rob
There's one more left at that price:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Vexilar-FL18-Gen...item27ad50f703
Old 12-03-2009, 01:35 PM   #10 (permalink)

There is a whole new world waiting for you with a flasher my friend.......a whole new world.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in