Barr Lake Ice Report & Buck Photos 12-8-09 - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2009, 03:26 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Barr Lake Ice Report & Buck Photos 12-8-09

Well I guess it isn't an ice report, but a lack therof. Most of the main lake is still open with a skim of less than an inch along part of the dam. The cove south of the launch ramp is about 50% covered with around 2" of ice......way too much open water out there still.

Driving around the lake I was able to get some shot of a nice whitetail buck first.......

I'm sorry I don't have the best digital camera so I apoligize for the photo quality....zoom is really poor on my olympus camedia.
I then ran into a little group of Muleys with several bucks......

Then while heading on around the lake I spotted a bunch of muleys a ways off the road trying to stay out of the wind. At first all I could see was a bunch of does and a couple really small forkies but I knew there had to be some bigger bucks close by. They were down in some really thick sunflowers and weeds and too far off for my little camera really but I finally got one of the bigger bucks to show his mug....

Looking closely in the weeds just to the right of the doe that is standing rump to rump with the 4point you can just barely pick out some dark massive antlers in the weeds. There was a bigger non-typical buck with pretty heavy antlers bedded there but never could get a clear shot of him. He stood for a few seconds at one time and I could see a big heavy club coming off his left main beam after where his G2 branches off. I tried to take a couple pictures thru my binoculars with obviously limited results but hey I had to try. You can at least get an idea of the caliber of buck he is. Give him a couple years and he will be a tank!!!

He already has a bunch of horn on his head.....cool buck just wish I had telephoto capability.
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2009, 03:35 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Barr Lake Ice Report & Buck Photos 12-8-09

Nice to meet you out there today, pics turned out pretty good!! Ready to get out on the ice once it gets a little further out!!
jwhitman36 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2009, 03:45 PM   #3 (permalink)

Old 12-08-2009, 11:31 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the Barr update and Holy freak'n 10 pt. buck fever.
Old 12-09-2009, 07:36 AM   #5 (permalink)

Bah thats only a 5 point buck dang easterns dont know how to count
scchase is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2009, 11:05 AM   #6 (permalink)

Them is sum nice deers !!That whitetail looks to be big bodied ! Has anyone seen a whitetail muley cross or vice versa here in co ?
Old 12-10-2009, 02:04 PM   #7 (permalink)

I was out there a little while ago, I didn't see the deer, but the lake is locked up now. I walked out to the right of the boat ramp to the dark ice and cut a coupel of holes. The ice was about 2 inches there. I was gonna walk further, but being by myself and without a spud bar, i chickened out.
tracker15 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2009, 06:36 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracker15
I was out there a little while ago, I didn't see the deer, but the lake is locked up now. I walked out to the right of the boat ramp to the dark ice and cut a coupel of holes. The ice was about 2 inches there. I was gonna walk further, but being by myself and without a spud bar, i chickened out.
Cool!! Thanks Steve!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in