Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

Thermals

879 views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  DonInDurango 
#1 ·
I'm not one that normally wears thermals but given the weather we had today, and the fact I was out in it all day (from 5:00am to 5:00pm) I gotta put in a plug for heavyweight polypro thermals. I picked up a set of tops and bottoms from the Army/Navy Surplus on Hampden and Broadway. I also picked up a Fleece Balaclava. I have to say, I was warm all day. My toes did get really cold at one point and I'm still working on that issue but everything else was completely warm. I will DEFINITELY be wearing this stuff on the ice this year. If you look close, those are icicles on my eyelashes. It was -17 when I got out of the truck in the morning.

Thought I'd pass along the heads up - they also had kid's sizes. :)

See less See more
#3 ·
gofindyourowndamnfish said:
Thanks Ed. Do you remember what the brand was?
There was no brand listed. They are in bins. The woman I talked to that helped me said they are U.S. GI issue from a contractor that is no longer in business. The only recommendation I would make is that if you buy the regular size, make sure they fit all the way down your torso (for the top). I had to buy the tall top for that reason.

I think the price was $20 or $25 for the top, and the same for the bottom.

#4 ·
Here's a tag from the top

Here's a quick pic of what it looks like. They have crew neck and zip up available.

If you go into the back area (where the Carhartt's usually are) they are in the very first aisle on the right in the bins (at least for men - I think women stuff is on the other side).

I was warned by the cashier that you shouldn't stick them in the dryer because they will melt. They are terrific at wicking away water (perspiration)

#7 ·
Beer said:
Hey GFYODF, not sure what brand those are but i've been issued Polartec stuff in the past and that's all i use for my cold weather outings. They work great and you can find Polartec just about anywhere.
I've used that 300 wt Polartec, too. That's great stuff.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.