strike indicators - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2009, 09:02 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default strike indicators

Was wondering how important they are saw a few on a friends pole and he says they work but catches without them any other comments?
fishenfool is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2009, 09:13 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: strike indicators

They help for deadsticking and when they bite very lightly.
I don't like the indicators that go on the pole, they get in my way.
I think it was Bernie who taught me to use a small round bobber as an indicator.
Once you are at the depth you want with your jig, make a loop in your line at the water level. Then push up on the metal catch on the top side of the bobber and tuck in your loop and then let the tension on the bobber keep the loop in place. You want to make sure that when you set this up your loop slips out of the bobber and releases it so you aren't dealing with a bobber on your line when you're bringing in your catch.
I hope this makes sense. It's worked great for me.
Old 12-10-2009, 09:16 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice fisher
They help for deadsticking and when they bite very lightly.
I don't like the indicators that go on the pole, they get in my way.
I think it was Bernie who taught me to use a small round bobber as an indicator.
Once you are at the depth you want with your jig, make a loop in your line at the water level. Then push up on the metal catch on the top side of the bobber and tuck in your loop and then let the tension on the bobber keep the loop in place. You want to make sure that when you set this up your loop slips out of the bobber and releases it so you aren't dealing with a bobber on your line when you're bringing in your catch.
I hope this makes sense. It's worked great for me.

thanks i saw that the ones on the rod tip would fowl when reeling in and didnt know how or what else to use thanks for the tip
fishenfool is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2009, 09:21 AM   #4 (permalink)

http://www.fishingminnesota.com/iceb...er-bobber.html

Love these. They snap on and off real easy... As shown, you can cut the bobber down to make it more sensitive.
Auger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2009, 09:29 AM   #5 (permalink)

I agree with Auger. I've been using these Ice Buster Slip Bobbers for 6-7 years now and cannot imagine deadsticking without them. Buy a dozen and see for yourself.
Old 12-10-2009, 09:43 AM   #6 (permalink)

I love the piano wire type indicators that you lash to the rod tip. I can't imagine fishing for trout or panfish through the ice without them. If a fish even breathes on the jig, they transmit it. Often, that indicator wire will move only 1/16 or 1/8 of an inch when a fish mouths your bait. You won't see it without an indicator.

I've tried the bobber method and my personal opinion is that it's tougher to use, and not as sensitive with the micro jigs I like for trout and perch.

To each his own.

Old 12-10-2009, 09:45 AM   #7 (permalink)

BTW, I'll use those ice busters for dead sticking and I'll snap on while I'm jigging as well. That way if I have to walk away from my hole for any reason my jigging spoon or whatever can stay at the same depth. I've often come back to my hole and had a fish on....
Auger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2009, 10:11 AM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks for the link Auger. That's a great product. I'll order some. I think it may be a better method than the one I'm using now.
Old 12-10-2009, 12:54 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice fisher
Thanks for the link Auger. That's a great product. I'll order some. I think it may be a better method than the one I'm using now.
I've seen the ice busters at GM in case you were wondering.
Old 12-10-2009, 01:19 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofindyourowndamnfish
I love the piano wire type indicators that you lash to the rod tip. I can't imagine fishing for trout or panfish through the ice without them. If a fish even breathes on the jig, they transmit it. Often, that indicator wire will move only 1/16 or 1/8 of an inch when a fish mouths your bait. You won't see it without an indicator.

I've tried the bobber method and my personal opinion is that it's tougher to use, and not as sensitive with the micro jigs I like for trout and perch.

To each his own.
I think I have tried most styles out there from the piano wire ones with a loop on the end, the flat spring-steel ones with an eye on the end, the pen spring style ones as well as the ice buster bobbers. I like some of them for different methods but most have their shortcomings. The flat spring-steel ones tend to twist up on my and are more difficult to keep in place and I have concerns about light line wrapping up against the flat metal at the eye. The "pen-spring" style ones I like for really light stuff but you have to use a trick or two to get your line threaded through them properly and they are particularly prone to icing up due to the design...thus they are really only suited to using inside a heated hut. I like the ice-buster bobbers if I am going to deadstick live bait with an open bail where the fish can run with it but for picky fish like 'eyes and crappie you need to either trim the bobber down or add just the right amount of weight to make them just barely positively buoyant or the fish may feel it and spit the bait. I am with Don that the best model going is the piano-wire style with a larger eye on the tip as well as some type of brightly colored bead or marking on the end for visibility. With these, there is no significant problems with the large eye gathering too much ice or the spring bobber twisting and wrapping up the line. Absolutely invaluable for live bait presentations or small artificialls when fishing for potentially light-biting fish.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in