Advice for a Newbie? - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2009, 07:17 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Advice for a Newbie?

I have never been Ice Fishing, I fly fish 98% of the time. Over the past year I have been teaching a 12 year old how to fly fish. Recently he told me how much he wants to ice fish. So I figured what the heck.
Here are the questions I need answered-
Where is a good place to go for catching good numbers of fish (We both live in Englewood)?
Is there any place where you can rent gear?
Any tactics that are crucial to catching fish?
Any info would be great, I am lost when it comes to this type of fishing.
20DSBOW is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2009, 07:51 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Advice for a Newbie?

When is the next time you are thinking of going, maybe one of the regulars will meet up with you and show you the ropes...

You can go buy a simple Mora Bora 6 inch auger and a couple scoops for what you would probably rent a gas auger for (less than $50)...the only place I know that rents them are Larry up at the marina at 11 Mile Reservoir...a new six inch will cut holes easily all day long...dont get an 8 inch it is brutal comparitively...and 99% of the fish in colorado will come through a six inch hole...

Georgetown, St Marys, Red Feather Lakes, Golden Gate State Park, Antero...I would stay away from 11 mile, it can be really picky and really good...

You can use existing spinning reels and put them on ice rods, use 4 or 6 pound trilene low vis green XT or XL line. Go to Gander Mountain in Aurora and ask for Donald, Jeff, Dave, or Andy in the fishing dept, they will point you in the right direction.

Generally jigging a small kastmaster near the bottom or a small jig tipped with a meal worm, waxie, or salmon egg will catch you fish.

You can PM me if you have other questions...I am sure other people will chime in...

Old 12-15-2009, 08:07 AM   #3 (permalink)

X2 on what Zman said. Getting started is fairly cheap. The auger will be the most expensive piece equipment. It will get more expensive if you actually like it.

I go out every weekend, you are more than welcome to come along. All you will need to bring is the appropriate clothing.

PM me if you are interested.
tracker15 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2009, 08:15 AM   #4 (permalink)

Same as stated above. What helped me as well is doing a lot of research online. Read forum postings, watch videos, read articles, good information to be had from this site.
fishingpapa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2009, 03:59 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracker15
X2 on what Zman said. Getting started is fairly cheap. The auger will be the most expensive piece equipment. It will get more expensive if you actually like it.

I go out every weekend, you are more than welcome to come along. All you will need to bring is the appropriate clothing.

PM me if you are interested.
Yup what T15 said.
colonative is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2009, 07:46 PM   #6 (permalink)

also please respect some safety rules: beware of thin or uneven ice, don't go alone, try staying near other people. having ice cleats, ice picks, and a piece of rope is a good idea. I would say a thinner line and smaller jig will help catch more fish until you learn to find a real big ones - and even then it is extremely unlikely you will loose a fish with 4lb line - they are weaker in winter. and as zman said, use fluorocarbon.
aquarius is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in