Fishin Buddy - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2009, 07:50 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Fishin Buddy

I've got a question and was wondering if anyone could help me with it or give some advice. I was at Bass Pro last night for santa pictures with the kids and went over to check out fish finders for ice fishing for my dad for xmas. He doesn't go all that often so I can't justify a Vex or anything that expensive. He just wants something basic that will tell him if there's fish underneath or not and then he's happy throwin up the tent and relaxing. I asked the salesperson and he directed me towards a Humminbird Fishin Buddy 110. It has a 24" transducer and is basically attached to a very simple Humminbird screen. Has anyone used this at all? It cost about $130 so it would definately be affordable. Is it reliable? Does it work very well? Anyone have any input?
Goose18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2009, 08:31 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Fishin Buddy

I know a few guys that love their hummingbird units. Vexilar has a few smaller packs that are the dave genz soft packs, they don't include everything you'd get in the ultra pack but it's very budget friendly. Marcum and Hummingbird even make flashers too that are not as pricey as vexilar's units though some can get up there a bit.

Here is the cheapest hummingbird unit. A little more then their open water units that you have ice fishing modes, or the showdown, but it's virtually the same thing as a vex or marcum.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...ct_id=10710694

Also, I've seen people rig up their regular fish finders with some pvc and ammo boxes for storage, and they saw down their holes just fine. So there are a bunch of options other then pricey flasher units.

Rob
Old 12-16-2009, 09:32 AM   #3 (permalink)

I've used a Fishin Buddy for seven years on my toon. It's an older model. Very durable, marks structure and fish, however it is a 9 degree transducer so the cone is very small in shallow depths. It will mark your jig; but as with all transducers, you must be within that cone.

My buddy used his buddy on the ice this past Saturday at Antero. He uses his through the ice all the time. Worked fine, marked fish and his jig. Great for checking the depth through the ice and looking for weeds. Just a little water on the ice and shoot right through while standing up. Really quick for scouting out your area before drilling.

For what you're looking for...Ease of operation, easy to read...no real learning curve at all. I'm sure he'd love it.

On the ice...discard the mount. Just bring along a five gallon bucket with a hole cut in the bottom. Drill a hole in the ice for the Buddy....flip the bucket over and place it over the hole and put the buddy through the hole in the bottom of the bucket. Sets it up at eye level as you fish.

You might upgrade to the 130 from Cabelas...On sale now...Originally $219 on sale for $148..

http://www.cabelas.com/p-00764100197...roduct-reviews
hobiecat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2009, 09:43 AM   #4 (permalink)

at bass pro i believe that rhey have hummimbird portable fish finder, you may want to consider that as well. i would also ask on here if anybody is looking to get rid of theirs, i got a fl18 ultra pack with a extra batrery and mag glass for 350. its worth a shot.
agiron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2009, 09:48 AM   #5 (permalink)

or get the X67C!!

https://www.coloradofisherman.com/for...?topic=50301.0
Jvasquez is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2009, 09:54 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoePete
Another buddy bought the display model from Gander yesterday...I'm not sure that they'll get any more in at that price.
hobiecat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2009, 10:29 AM   #7 (permalink)

I got the last x67 from the Aurora Gander last night, and Thornton doesn't have any.

They did have a portable humming bird with a case on sale and with an additional discount it came out to 90 bucks or so. A screaming deal, and a bit more flexible than the buddy type units. It was in the glass case.
kernstb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2009, 12:49 PM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks everyone, I'll have to go check them out. I appreciate your input and suggestions.
Goose18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2009, 01:31 PM   #9 (permalink)

The only thing I would be concerned with is the time delay. Thats why alot of people like the flashers instead of the true fish finders. The flasher reacts immediately when something breaks the transmit/receive cone. The true fish finders could take up to 8 seconds to show this interruption on the screen. So - by the time you see the fish it's already been there and gone.

Something to be aware of.
MarkE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2009, 02:14 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkE
The only thing I would be concerned with is the time delay. Thats why alot of people like the flashers instead of the true fish finders. The flasher reacts immediately when something breaks the transmit/receive cone. The true fish finders could take up to 8 seconds to show this interruption on the screen. So - by the time you see the fish it's already been there and gone.

Something to be aware of.
not trying to argue but... dayum... 8 secs.?
must be the flintstones model! i'll give ya 1-1.5 but 8?? you sure man?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in