If it doesn't have a hook is it still considered a rod? - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2009, 12:53 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default If it doesn't have a hook is it still considered a rod?

If you have two rods deadstuck right in front of you and another in your hand say jigging a small kastmaster with the hook removed is this allowed or is it 2 rods no matter what, or do you hope the ranger understands what your doing. All input is appreciated
carpman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2009, 12:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Default Re: If it doesn't have a hook is it still considered a rod?

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpman
If you have two rods deadstuck right in front of you and another in your hand say jigging a small kastmaster with the hook removed is this allowed or is it 2 rods no matter what, or do you hope the ranger understands what your doing. All input is appreciated
http://wildlife.state.co.us/About/askdow/

www.ColoradoMountainFishing.com

Here's to Tight Lines, Bent Rods, and Screamin Reels.... FISH ON!
epic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2009, 01:04 PM   #3 (permalink)

thats a really good question. although a second rod stamp is 5 bucks. why risk the ticket and geting booted off the lake and possibly gettin ur stuff taken for 5 bucks.

Old 12-17-2009, 01:10 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Shad
thats a really good question. although a second rod stamp is 5 bucks. why risk the ticket and geting booted off the lake and possibly gettin ur stuff taken for 5 bucks.

He would need a 3rd rod stamp for the senario he stated.(And Yes I know there is no such thing here in colorado) Having 2 rods dead sticking.. and jigging 1 rod without a hook.

I have wondered about this myself    Almost Like hooking up an Auto jigger with bells for kokes.... and then still fishing with 2 rods.
Old 12-17-2009, 01:17 PM   #5 (permalink)

I'll take a stab at this and hope I'm right. I believe the jig without a hook would be considered a decoy.. and you can have as many decoys set up as you want.
MarkE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2009, 01:17 PM   #6 (permalink)

Good question I've wundered about that as well. Was thinkin about one of those automatic jiggers with the that 3 foot attractor . I would think that since there is no hook or intent to catch you would be ok . Prob should read the regs real close.
Or call DOW
Old 12-17-2009, 01:24 PM   #7 (permalink)

If you have a fishing license, that covers one line. If you have a second rod stamp, that covers your second line. Any other line in the water will net you a fine and possibly suspension of your fishing privileges.

I have a buddy that got busted for having 6 or 7 lines (no lures or hooks) out from his boat at Aurora, and got a stiff fine.

Rob
Old 12-17-2009, 01:46 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkE
I'll take a stab at this and hope I'm right. I believe the jig without a hook would be considered a decoy.. and you can have as many decoys set up as you want.
That would seem do different to me than a jigging machine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by §limer
I have a buddy that got busted for having 6 or 7 lines (no lures or hooks) out from his boat at Aurora, and got a stiff fine.

Rob
What?? What could they charge him with? That makes no sense.....

Old 12-17-2009, 02:20 PM   #9 (permalink)

I got a two rod stamp. I know the rules about chumming, daily limit etc. I ice fish the mile and Hog Heaven, "Antero"on a regular basis using small homemade jigs and flies but unless the fish swims close to my hole its not even going to notice my jigs. I had many people, especially this year tell me I can't jig anything if I have 2 rods in the water. I know I'm not going to catch a fish on my jigging rod, but without it I get roughly half the action. I don't want to get in trouble or anything and I can't find anything that the DOW says specifically if this is a 3rd rod. Maybe I'll have to wait untill the liscence patroll comes around and hope I don't get a ticket. Thanks for the term decoy Mark E, Does the DOW say anything about decoys?
carpman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2009, 02:31 PM   #10 (permalink)

I checked their on-line fishing reg and the term decoy isn't used at all. I always thought that a fella could use as many decoys as he wanted - whether they were on a rod or not. Just as long as they didn't have a hook. I've heard of guys ripping hookless rattle traps and using big plastics as decoys. That still sounds logical to me. I guess I don't know for sure what the answer is. I'd like to know too
now!
MarkE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in