New Guy - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2010, 01:53 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default New Guy

Just getting into ice fishing. Primarily fishing for Rainbows, NE Colorado local lakes mostly, bigger fish trips to Antero, Wolford, 11 Mile. What would you reccomend for line weight and type? Also, any basic lure / fly's / bait suggested? Any basic books or internet references? Thank you.
iahwkco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2010, 02:28 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: New Guy

I am by no means an expert bu I have 4lb mono on my rods and have never broke off even with some larger fish, just be sure your drag is dialed down. As far as bait for bows, i like salmon eggs and wax worms, drives them crazy where I go.

For a good reference you are already in the right place, there are a ton of great tips on this site so just do your home work and ask questions.
dshroyer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2010, 06:33 PM   #3 (permalink)

Definitely hang out on these forums, but I have also been picking up all kinds of pointers on Youtube lately. Nothing beats time on the ice though. Don't be afraid to ask questions, even if they seem kinda stupid. Guess how we found out the answers?

Adam
Old 01-14-2010, 09:03 AM   #4 (permalink)

welcome. go with little jigs Ratsos, Ratfinkies, tubes, and so on. I think 4lb is fine. Once you start targeting bigger fish like Macs. Pike, Eyes, and so on you will probably need to go bigger. For trout locate 10'-15' of water. Fish close to bottom. That should be a good start. get a couple in and maybe change things up a bit. Use wax worms, meal worms, salmon eggs, crawlers, or other general bait. Have fun out there! If you go post up a report or two and let everyone know how you are doing!

Jim
baetisrun1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2010, 09:24 AM   #5 (permalink)

Welcome to the forum!!

Personally on all my trout rods i run 6lb P-Line. I am sure 4 would be fine.. I just stray away from 4lb line typically because I have lost to many lures in open water using 4lb. However Ice fishing I don't ever get snagged(Fingers crossed )

As for baits.. Like said.. Try Ratso's, Rat Finkies, small tube jigs, small marabou jig's, small Kastmasters.

I have never fished Wolford or 11 Mile.. But Antero i have fished a number of times already this season!!

For Antero I would suggest using small jigs like mentioned in color white.(I have had the best luck on white.. Not to say that you couldn't do better using another color.. i just have had the best luck using white)

Tip your jigs with either a wax worm or meal worm(Waxies seem to work better for me at Antero) You can pick up waxies and mealies at Gander or bass pro... or typically at your local pet store

The bite at Antero is SUPER lite!! A marcum/vexilar helps allot.. or if you don't have one you can typically just look down the hole Pretty fun to do to.. i still do some site fishing even when i have my marcum.
Old 01-15-2010, 12:41 PM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to fish4bass

I have fished with you before and in my opinion you should stay in out of the cold. Where the hell is our Auger.
Old 01-15-2010, 02:37 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks for all of the responses - appreciate the help.
iahwkco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2010, 08:56 PM   #8 (permalink)

Hey new guy these are all good tips. I love Antero, Ive fished it 7 times this year and have only ever caught 2 fish under 15" all the rest have been normally around 16-18. If i was fishing there i would fish the nort side by the dam about 150yds from the point of fence in line with it. Find the bottom and come up about 1ft to 3 ft off the bottom. I like to use meal worms on a 1/16 to 1/32 oz jig make sure the meal worm points straight back it helps with action. Have fun.
gray yotee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in