Eskimo Auger Fail FYI if you own an Eskimo Auger - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2011, 10:05 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Eskimo Auger Fail FYI if you own an Eskimo Auger

Last year on Cyber Monday Dicks Sporting Good had an online coupon for 25% off any single item and free shipping. I was in the market for a new auger and they had the Eskimo Shark Z71 (advertised as the worlds most powerful auger) for $399. After my discount of $100 I figured $299 with free shipping was a good deal.

The auger showed up a few days later and I worked flawlessly for the entire season. Iím estimating I drilled 300+ holes with it. At the end of the season I drained all of the gas out, ran it dry and put it away.

First trip out this year Iím unloading the truck and there is a strong gas smell. I figured no big deal some gas leaked out of the cap. Got to our spot fired up the auger and it was spraying gas everywhere. I checked the lines and everything was tight. Couldnít figure out what was wrong so I borrowed my buddyís auger and got to fishing.

The next day at home I found the problem(s) the fuel tank was leaking around the seam and the gas line had cracked inside the grommet where it exits the tank. I called Eskimo the next day and explained the issue. They told me that was a common problem due to the ethanol in our fuel. Apparently the ethanol eats away the fuel lines, choke bulb, and the plastic tank.

Their solution was to send me a new tank, fuel line and filter. Additionally they let me know that the preferred maintenance for the fuel system was to add Seafoam to the tank and run the auger for 10 minutes every month in the off-season to circulate the Seafoam. They recommend adding Seafoam every time I fill up my gas can to prevent future issues. Iím OK with that except nowhere in the operating manual does it mention this procedure. :P Anyway, if you own a recent model Eskimo Auger you may want to employ the Seafoam maintenance program recommended by Eskimo.

FC
fly chucker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2011, 10:18 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Eskimo Auger Fail FYI if you own an Eskimo Auger

There is a gas station in P-lo that sells straight gas with no ethanol.....
koldkut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2011, 10:27 AM   #3 (permalink)

So they are telling you not to drain out the fuel in the off season?

I also heard that some of the Z51's had the crack by one of the screws that hold the tank on. One guy just used some JB weld and fixed his. Something about a possibility that that screw was tightened too tight.

I am on my 3rd year with my Z51 and have drained it every year with no problems.
Old 12-14-2011, 10:31 AM   #4 (permalink)

I don't think the gas is the problem..I think it's an excuse...I have an old eskimo...love the auger...but the same problems with the gas tank cracking around the fill area for me....They also had problems with the cap...In fact...i think the cap problem caused a lot of the tank problems because people were trying to tighten the cap to much in order to keep it from leaking.. putting stress on the tank...

Got a new cap last year...and I don't mind a bit of gas smell...for now...not one of those that seems to have a problem with fish not liking the smell...
hobiecat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2011, 10:32 AM   #5 (permalink)

That's what the folks at Eskimo said. It was obvious they were aware of the problem and had numerous warranty claims. Maybe the model you have was manufactured prior to the issue.
Old 12-14-2011, 10:35 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly Chucker
That's what the folks at Eskimo said. It was obvious they were aware of the problem and had numerous warranty claims. Maybe the model you have was manufactured prior to the issue.
Probably so...mine is very old...but still cuts great...Chipper blades..gotta love em...not quite as fast...but they rarely need to be sharpened...
Old 12-14-2011, 10:38 AM   #7 (permalink)

Agree about the blades. BTW if anyone ever orders a new gas cap from Eskimo they want $11.99. For $13.99 they will send the gas tank "kit" that includes the cap, tank, fuel lines and a new filter.

Doesn't make sense
Old 12-14-2011, 10:44 AM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks for the info...Mines old...probably not the same tank..Last I'd checked they wanted $35 for the tank for my old barracuda...but I'll give it a look...That's a great deal.
Old 12-14-2011, 11:46 AM   #9 (permalink)

I had the same problem. I am on my third tank. The tanks leak right in the seam. The original tank started leaking after about 3 years and was out of warranty. I think I had to pay around $27 for a new one. That one only lasted a year and it was leaking. So I called them up and got the same story about the quality of gas that is out there now. I asked her ďif itís a gas tank why does gas cause it to leak, what am I supposed to put in it?Ē She said that they would send me one no charge as a good faith measure and recommended using Seafoam.
I drained the tank this spring before storing it. I didnít realize that it should be stored with the treated fuel in it. Iím going to fill it up tonight when I get home, sure hope it doesnít leak.
I think that this is a faulty tank. My trimmer and leaf blowers have plastic fuel tanks on them and I have never had any problems with them. I donít get it
Old 12-14-2011, 12:19 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly Chucker
Agree about the blades. BTW if anyone ever orders a new gas cap from Eskimo they want $11.99. For $13.99 they will send the gas tank "kit" that includes the cap, tank, fuel lines and a new filter.

Doesn't make sense
That is very good info. Thanks I will store it away.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in