mountain home res - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2006, 10:35 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default mountain home res

i fished this lake several years ago and caught a really nice pike and seen some other pike that were huge. Iheard that the lake dried up recently, but i was just on the dow page and saw that they stocked it in aug last year and was wondering if anybody could give me some info on it.
fisherbob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2006, 12:38 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: mountain home res

FB:

When they drew the lake down they got rid of the Pike. Another good Pike fishery gone. Bummer. The lake does support some fat trout! Good Luck...Let us know how you do.
Old 03-30-2006, 02:47 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks lucky7 wish the pike were still there that was one of the only lakes I have been able to ,wait the only lake I have been able to catch big pike out of. Caught a ten pounder bout 26-28 inches a couple years back . I went there for pike was fishing with tubes and sucker meat the huge trout I was seeing was scared of them so I tried a 1/8 kastmaster with power bait caught the biggest pike of my life (so far) but thanks for the report there is some big rainbows down there probably 5-6 pounders if the lake didn't totally dry up.
Old 04-01-2006, 05:45 AM   #4 (permalink)

try the sanchez Theres NICE PIKE IN there and its not far from there
daredevil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2006, 04:25 AM   #5 (permalink)

ya fished it last year caught two pike small very slow day thinking it may be all wiped out also very low wter conditions. thanks for the info appreciate it
Old 04-04-2006, 08:36 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daredevil
try the sanchez Theres NICE PIKE IN there and its not far from there
I heard that the Pike are not doing well at Sanchez due to the alkaline level of the lake and not enough perch to fatten the Pike.
Old 04-07-2006, 09:23 PM   #7 (permalink)

I'm from San Luis and my parents still live there, it is true that the lake sufferd from the drout. But they have not drained that lake in 48 yrs. The story of the winter kill is not true. In fact I fished it a lot last year. the Sanchez is a great place to fish for walleye and pike. Last year I had good luck on walleye and a lot of small pike. one day a guy from new mexico nailed a 36 incher. i know they are in there.
daredevil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2006, 09:17 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daredevil
I'm from San Luis and my parents still live there, it is true that the lake sufferd from the drout. But they have not drained that lake in 48 yrs. The story of the winter kill is not true.* In fact I fished it a lot last year. the Sanchez is a great place to fish for walleye and pike. Last year I had good luck on walleye and a lot of small pike. one day a guy from new mexico nailed a 36 incher. i know they are in there.*
Daredevil:

My Mother-in-law grew up in San Pablo. You can see the Sanchez Dam from her old house. This is good news as I love that Lake! I plan to hit it with the boat this summer!
Old 04-10-2006, 10:06 AM   #9 (permalink)

man that is good news about sanchez had some really good days there might have to go hit this year as well. Ihave never fished it in the summer only through the ice any secrets for for the soft water season down down there
Old 04-10-2006, 04:51 PM   #10 (permalink)
bobco

I would not get to excite about Sanchez, I fished it last summer and the walleye are very under feed (skinny), that same size eyes 2 years earlier were pushing 3.5-4 lbs, were only 1.5-2 lbs. I spoke to the DOw officier for the area and they are tryihg to recover the perch population but it will take time. It was a great lake and will be agian, but it needs some food for the eyes and pike....
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in