Kids ice fishing - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2013, 09:47 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Kids ice fishing

List of kid friendly ice fishing lakes: Note this is only a list of lakes that have been historically good to take children. This list doesn't include current ice conditions so please do your homework before taking a trip, and always use common sense and caution when ice fishing.

Golden Gate Canyon State Park
Rifle Gap
Harvey Gap
Officers Gulch
Monument Lake
Willow Creek Res.
Lon Hagler
St. Vrain State Park(Barbour Ponds)
Bellaire Lake(Red Feather area)

This year I'm going to take my son ice fishing a lot more. He hasn't shown much interest in the past but this year he's dying to go.

To start I'm only going to take him to locations where I know it'll be fast action.

I want to use this thread for moms and dads to share the spots they're getting kids into fish fast. I'm sure it'll be mostly stockers but if there's a kid spot with little bluegill or perch that would be great to. No secret spots or honey holes just good spots to take the kids.

As soon as Golden Gate ices up I'm going to take my son there. We usually do good there getting into tiny rainbows.

I hope by the end of the season we have a nice list of waters that are kid friendly for all parents to see.

Tight lines,
Eric

Last edited by dieseldoctor; 11-27-2013 at 11:32 AM. Reason: updating
dieseldoctor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2013, 10:09 AM   #2 (permalink)

My daughters have been going since they could walk. My oldest is addicted! She fishes every tournament with me and does rather well. As long as you keep them warm and dry they are happy. We fish the Gaps almost every weekend (10 min. from home). Its nice because they can sit at one hole and catch perch for hours and don't need much help. I always love seeing kids out on the ice!

Last edited by WestSloper; 01-07-2014 at 12:31 PM.
WestSloper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2013, 11:56 AM   #3 (permalink)

Gawd, look at those perch!!!!! =)

I need to move to the west slope....
Old 11-26-2013, 12:41 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks Westsloper! Looks like a blast... I can keep an eye on a few tip ups while my little man catches perch.
dieseldoctor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2013, 12:48 PM   #5 (permalink)

Nice pis westsloper.
zebco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2013, 12:52 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseldoctor View Post
Thanks Westsloper! Looks like a blast... I can keep an eye on a few tip ups while my little man catches perch.
Well if you make it up there with the kido hit me up. You too Opry99er.
Old 11-26-2013, 01:09 PM   #7 (permalink)

May take you up on that... It'll be a while though, at least mid January. Not in the "position" to get out that far right now. But it would be a blast. I'm going to try and hit OG up early December. Just to scratch the itch.

My kid's been watching ice fishing videos for a few weeks now... he REALLY wants to catch (of all things) a RAINBOW TROUT through the ice! That's all he keeps talking about is catching a rainbow trout through the ice. We may not get into a rainbow at OG, but at least we'll have a chance to get into SOMETHING through the ice. =) Maybe when Evergreen ices up for the season, we'll go get that Rainbow Trout he keeps talking about.
Old 11-26-2013, 01:15 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opry99er View Post
May take you up on that... It'll be a while though, at least mid January. Not in the "position" to get out that far right now. But it would be a blast. I'm going to try and hit OG up early December. Just to scratch the itch.

My kid's been watching ice fishing videos for a few weeks now... he REALLY wants to catch (of all things) a RAINBOW TROUT through the ice! That's all he keeps talking about is catching a rainbow trout through the ice. We may not get into a rainbow at OG, but at least we'll have a chance to get into SOMETHING through the ice. =) Maybe when Evergreen ices up for the season, we'll go get that Rainbow Trout he keeps talking about.
There are plenty of rainbows at OG. You should not have any trouble catching a few there...
Old 11-26-2013, 01:59 PM   #9 (permalink)

Monument lake is just starting to get a lid...easy on/off access and a few species there..Great for kids and for anyone thinking of taking an elderly or handicapped friend.
hobiecat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2013, 02:16 PM   #10 (permalink)

Nice I'm taking the kids ice fishing friday
catfishking is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in