Hey from Broomfield - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2018, 07:46 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Hey from Broomfield

Just retired in January, and have started fishing again. Bought a project boat, and am getting out one day a week, mostly to Union Reservoir and Boyd Lake.
Robndenver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2018, 09:17 PM   #2 (permalink)

Replacing the seats, and prop next week. I’ll be posting in the partner/seats section of the forum, it’s ready for company.
Old 08-05-2018, 10:18 AM   #3 (permalink)

Boat looks in good shape, definitely a good hull. Definitely spend the money on electronics and gps enabled trolling motor if it doesnt already have it. Those two things have attributed the most to catching fish. Congratulations on retirement, no doubt well deserved if you didnt have time to fish while you were working. I will be arriving to colorado springs this winter and fishing lake pueblo.
Micorps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2018, 04:54 PM   #4 (permalink)

We have a Terrova 80# trolling motor with I-Pilot. I tested it and its working. We just bought a Helix 9 to replace the old funky Raytheon that is currently on the boat. The DW and I spent an him hour at the car wash this morning just getting the dust off. I also ordered some new graphics to replace the ones that have suffered a little dock rash. Work in progress.
Old 08-05-2018, 07:33 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robndenver View Post
We have a Terrova 80# trolling motor with I-Pilot. I tested it and its working. We just bought a Helix 9 to replace the old funky Raytheon that is currently on the boat. The DW and I spent an him hour at the car wash this morning just getting the dust off. I also ordered some new graphics to replace the ones that have suffered a little dock rash. Work in progress.
I honestly wouldnt fix graphics, they will just get messed up again, or maybe its just me but i have got some nice scratches. I havent fixed them and it is alot less upsetting now when i get more. Most from having to tie up the boat in strong winds fishing by myself so having to get the truck. Those electronics will be great, just get the settings dialed in. I have the 80lbs ipilot on my 17.5' competitor. Many days i wish i had the 112lbs thrust.
Micorps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2018, 12:40 PM   #6 (permalink)

Congratulations, that looks like the perfect fishing boat for anywhere in Colorado.
Old 08-06-2018, 05:34 PM   #7 (permalink)

Looks like a great retirement present! Doing any good at union? It's been years since I've been there.
mattyt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2018, 08:19 PM   #8 (permalink)

We had good luck there until it got really hot. It’s been about four weeks since we were there. Caught walleye every trip after the first time. It was a lot nicer before school let out. We are looking forward to going back after the kids are back in school and the temps drop a little.
Old 08-12-2018, 09:38 AM   #9 (permalink)

How much does a setup like that run Rob? I will be looking to purchase something similar soon.
roberts2727 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2018, 08:53 AM   #10 (permalink)

Default It depends . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by roberts2727 View Post
How much does a setup like that run Rob? I will be looking to purchase something similar soon.
We found this boat on WalleyeCentral advertised for $7500. The owner, a teacher in Aberdeen SD was honest about how it looked, and told us that it had been fished very hard, and kept under cover in a barn. He omitted the part about how it was covered with dirt road dust and man it was filthy. Nevertheless, it was sound, the motor has been maintained and only had some dock rash and minor dings on the outer hull. The seats were gross, and it just needed a ton of cleaning, and minor maintenance. The pedestals in 2 of the 4 seats were stuck in the receptacles, and required extraction using a pair of barrel jacks. ($19 rental) We spent a couple of hours at the car wash using degreasers and brushes to get the motor and hull clean. ($25)

Had our household carpet cleaner come over with his steam cleaner to clean the carpets ($75)

Replaced all four seats with new ones from Walmart that are very nice and match the boat ($440) And changed up the captain's pedestal with one that is highly adjustable up and down and fore and aft ($165).

New 16 degree prop was needed, as the 19 degree original wouldn't work very well in Colorado. ($179).

The spare tire on the trailer looked sketchy to me, so that had to be replaced ($49).

The anchor was tied to a clothesline, so I bought a chain and one hundred feet of anchor rope from Amazon. ($27)

The biggest expense was a new fish graph. The old Raytheon that was original equipment is deficient compared to today's electronics, so I found a Humminbird Helix 9 on Ebay in the box. It went for ($699) so I felt like I had a deal there.

The farmer I got the boat from had a car stereo installed several years ago, and it was rusted and inoperable. Amazon again, had a marine set up with blue tooth for less than most of the boat sites. That's in a box waiting for a time when I can pull the old one out and put the new one in. ($89).

The bimini top was mildewed and really funky. I bought some boat strength mold remover from RMR Solutions that really worked! It literally brought the white cover back to factory condition but I used nearly a whole bottle ($19) and an afternoon to do that. I needed a respirator to apply it, even outdoors. ($17). The cover for the bimini top was long gone, so ($62) later I got a new one from Coverquest. I also purchased a trailerable boat cover from them. ($275). The boat came with a very sturdy OEM Lund Tarp, and the splines had the hooks that grab the bungee cord installed, so no expense there, just some work to straighten a couple of them.

I'd guess that the first mate and I have about 120 hours in labor in the boat just to get it clean enough to get in it without the ick factor.

New boat registration at CPW is ($35), and new numbers were like ($19) for the pair. I had them printed as a decal rather than applying individual letters/numbers just because it was easier. Getting the old numbers off required a heat gun, some plastic chisels/squeegees and a strong solution called Letter Off ($19).

As I was going through all of the doc's that came with the boat, I learned that the hull was actually a 2001 Lund, not a 2000 so that sweetened the deal a little. The motor starts flawlessly, using a checklist that the previous owner had written down, ($24) for the water flush ears. The trolling motor is an I-Pilot device, purchased in 2012. It only needed a knob and padlock to secure it to the bow plate ($6).

The best part was getting it on the water on Tuesday and putzing around with it. Finally got a rod in my hand instead of a brush and bucket, so I guess I got what I paid for the little red boat!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in