New Guy! - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2020, 08:39 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default New Guy!

Hey everyone! I'm Seth. I live in Parker and I'm in high school. My fishing experience is probably quite limited compared to the majority of you guys, but I absolutely love it in any form. I wanted to use this introduction to ask a needed question. You see, I've started to pick up fly fishing, thanks to the persistence of an older member in my church. He always pokes fun at my spinning reel methods. In an attempt to sway me to the "true way to fish", he rented me some needed gear and began teaching me some basic technique. I've began to amass my fly collection, and I've done extensive research. However, I've yet to land a fish. I've fished pressured and popular rivers near me, but to no avail. There is a steep learning curb, that's for certain. I ask humbly now for some needed knowledge. I know this question comes with a lot of weight and trust. Few, if any, may provide an answer. In my hour of need, I ask, do any of you know any great, non pressured fly fishing areas? I understand if you don't wish to divulge your secrets. But if you do, I may be able to find the perfect spot to build my confidence, skill, and love of fly fishing. I think the sport needs some more younger guys. We can discuss privately over email if need be. Thank you.
sethdb88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2020, 09:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
leg

Maybe I can lend a little prospective for you. There is no true way of fishing and any one who tells you that is misleading you. The tug is the drug when it comes to fishing, whether it's on a fly, lure or bait it doesn't matter as long as you get a thrill out of it. There are so many different kinds of fish and types of water to catch them in, that to limit yourself to one method robs you of the joy of learning about all methods of fishing available. I have fly fished for many years and do enjoy it but I will fish whatever method works for any given situation. There is so much to learn about the art of angling so don't limit yourself to one method and one type of fish. I'm over 70 years old and I still learn something almost every time I go fishing, the challenges are never ending.
leg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2020, 03:42 AM   #3 (permalink)
P I K E

1st off WELCOME to the forum sethdb88...!!!

2nd, Kudos to Leg for the reply! Could not have said it any better, best advice given to a new angler!
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2020, 04:14 AM   #4 (permalink)

Welcome to the forum.

A lot of experienced anglers have stories about those old guys who showed them (us) the ropes. It's awesome that you've found a fly fisherman who's willing to show you the "true way to fish". Now you just have to also find an old spin fisherman to show you the "true way to catch" and you're all set.
mriddell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2020, 05:01 AM   #5 (permalink)
P I K E

^^^^^^ LMFAO!!!
Old 02-08-2020, 12:55 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by leg View Post
Maybe I can lend a little prospective for you. There is no true way of fishing and any one who tells you that is misleading you. The tug is the drug when it comes to fishing, whether it's on a fly, lure or bait it doesn't matter as long as you get a thrill out of it. There are so many different kinds of fish and types of water to catch them in, that to limit yourself to one method robs you of the joy of learning about all methods of fishing available. I have fly fished for many years and do enjoy it but I will fish whatever method works for any given situation. There is so much to learn about the art of angling so don't limit yourself to one method and one type of fish. I'm over 70 years old and I still learn something almost every time I go fishing, the challenges are never ending.
Welcome Seth!!! .... ^^^^ VERY WELL SAID!
TEAM CO.F.F. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2020, 08:44 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethdb88 View Post
Hey everyone! I'm Seth. I live in Parker and I'm in high school. My fishing experience is probably quite limited compared to the majority of you guys, but I absolutely love it in any form. I wanted to use this introduction to ask a needed question. You see, I've started to pick up fly fishing, thanks to the persistence of an older member in my church. He always pokes fun at my spinning reel methods. In an attempt to sway me to the "true way to fish", he rented me some needed gear and began teaching me some basic technique. I've began to amass my fly collection, and I've done extensive research. However, I've yet to land a fish. I've fished pressured and popular rivers near me, but to no avail. There is a steep learning curb, that's for certain. I ask humbly now for some needed knowledge. I know this question comes with a lot of weight and trust. Few, if any, may provide an answer. In my hour of need, I ask, do any of you know any great, non pressured fly fishing areas? I understand if you don't wish to divulge your secrets. But if you do, I may be able to find the perfect spot to build my confidence, skill, and love of fly fishing. I think the sport needs some more younger guys. We can discuss privately over email if need be. Thank you.
Seth, I agree with leg in that there is no "true way to fish" however I think I can help you easily get on fish with your fly rod. To just get experience casting and fighting fish on the fly rod I would take some time this spring fishing leech patterns under an indicator for stocked trout. CPW publishes where they stock catchable trout at https://cpw.state.co.us/thingstodo/P...ingReport.aspx. You might need to change the date range to get results. If there is a pond near you where they stock trout that is a good bet. Small bodies of water can sometimes be easier to fish.

I would use a size 12 black, olive, or maroon leech. Beadhead can help get it down or you can use a small split shot 6 inches above your fly. Depth you set your indicator at depends on where you are fishing, if you can try to set it to where your fly is just above bottom or weedline. Tie on your fly using a loop knot. (Google non slip loop knot if you need to learn a good knot).

The technique is simple. Cast it out there and let it sit for a while. If there is wind sometimes the wind pushing your rig around gives enough action. Other times it is dead still, and twitching your line every once in a while (like every 5-10 seconds). Eventually your indicator will shoot down and you will need to simply lift your rod to set the hook. One tip is to make sure that there is not too much slack from your flyline to your indicator so that your lift properly sets the hook.

In my opinion this is one of the easiest ways to catch fish on a fly rod in spring, and can work year round.

Tight lines!
troutbiscuits is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2020, 08:31 AM   #8 (permalink)

Welcome to the forum young lad, ask any questions you may have and you shall receive wisdom.

My fishing videos.
Dr Cro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2020, 05:54 PM   #9 (permalink)

Hi Seth! First off welcome. I’d also echo what some others have said in that there’s no “right” way to fish as long as you’re treating the resource with respect! And that’s coming from someone who fly fishes almost exclusively. I grew up spin fishing and transitioned to fly because it seemed like a fun next step. So if you’re interested in switching because it sounds fun, you definitely should! But don’t feel pressured by the snobby fly fishermen who think spin fishing is beneath them.

As for where to go, there are so many places! One of the best places to learn at first is a local bass/panfish pond. Bluegill will eat almost anything, and they’re a great way to start fly fishing. It’ll allow you to practice your cast without worrying about moving currents, and you’ll be able to actually catch some fish (which is pretty crucial if you want to have fun and stick with it). Once you’ve caught some panfish and gotten comfortable with the cast, trout isn’t a huge leap. If you know how to spin fish, you’re already halfway there because knowing fish behavior and how to read water is half the battle. All you’ll need to learn is the actual technique of fly fishing. It’s not hard to find easy-to-catch unpressured trout in the mountains. Most small mountain streams and alpine lakes hold trout, and they aren’t too hard to catch. Avoid the popular rivers listed on fly shop boards, as those trout are usually wary and heavily fished. If you want some specific places to try, I’d be happy to share some. Shoot me an email at [email protected] or through my website www.fishuntamed.com. Good luck!
kburgert is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2020, 03:23 PM   #10 (permalink)

Welcome to this forum.

I fly fish and spin fish. They both catch an equal amount of fish. Spin fishing is easier to do but really doesn't catch any more fish than fly fishing. Not any less either.

Hard to tell you where to fish without knowing your location.

Life is hard, but it's a lot harder when you're stupid.......John Wayne
Pete-G is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in