Dubbing Dork Out - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2014, 09:21 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Dubbing Dork Out

I have been tying flies for about 20 years, so it is be weird that Simi Seal Leeches are now something I am stoked on. For whatever reason, I never tried to tie any of these until 2 weeks ago. My buddy and I even made a tutorial we since have dorked out that much.

http://duranglers.com/simi-seal-leech/

I think the obsession may be due to the fact that I have never tied with AZ Simi Seal dubbing until I picked up a few packages. Stuff rules. That being said, what dubbing are you all dorking out on these days. Do any of you blend your own dub?
explodedlad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2014, 09:32 AM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by explodedlad View Post
I have been tying flies for about 20 years, so it is be weird that Simi Seal Leeches are now something I am stoked on. For whatever reason, I never tried to tie any of these until 2 weeks ago. My buddy and I even made a tutorial we since have dorked out that much.

http://duranglers.com/simi-seal-leech/

I think the obsession may be due to the fact that I have never tied with AZ Simi Seal dubbing until I picked up a few packages. Stuff rules. That being said, what dubbing are you all dorking out on these days. Do any of you blend your own dub?
If you like simi seal, then you check out some of the other custom blends from Cheech and Curtis: http://www.flyfishfood.com/
clackaram is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2014, 10:45 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by clackaram View Post
If you like simi seal, then you check out some of the other custom blends from Cheech and Curtis: http://www.flyfishfood.com/
These dudes have some sweet stuff. Dat bruiser blend, nice! I may have to try some of this out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2014, 02:35 PM   #4 (permalink)

Anything I can get my fingers on that spins on the thread works for me...By the time the fish notice, it's too late for them, or I'm sleeping on the job.
koldkut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2014, 02:58 PM   #5 (permalink)

An up and coming material (or many materials for that matter) are those with UV ingredents. On one of my favorite flyfishing web sites there has been an ongoing discussion on the "benefits" of using UV dubbing materials.
Pilotfly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2014, 04:03 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilotfly View Post
An up and coming material (or many materials for that matter) are those with UV ingredents. On one of my favorite flyfishing web sites there has been an ongoing discussion on the "benefits" of using UV dubbing materials.
Well why don't we open a can of worms...

Do you all think there is a benefit to using UV materials in dubbing? Do you think there is a benefit to trying to get some kind of UV material in your flies at all?

I like to try and get some natural materials in with synthetic as I do believe natural hair, fur, or feather does look differently under the UV spectrum.
Old 05-19-2014, 04:36 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilotfly View Post
?? UV stuff has been around forever. I also think it can make a difference.
Old 05-19-2014, 04:51 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorelips View Post
?? UV stuff has been around forever. I also think it can make a difference.
I know it has been around for quite awhile but not sure it was really used (targeted) on flies all that much. However recently it seems to be making a resurgance.

Here is a link to a discussion going on in another site specifically relating to UV dubbing. Some good information.

http://www.west-fly-fishing.com/foru...644#Post734644

Last edited by Pilotfly; 05-19-2014 at 04:54 PM. Reason: Added link
Pilotfly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2014, 04:57 PM   #9 (permalink)

I have no expeirience yet with the UV dubbing, but I do intend to test it this summer! I have been tying quite a few streamers with it this winter. The streamer i posted on the PikeyMclaketrout thread also has a bunch of pearl uv icedub in it. A couple of weeks ago I was brushing out the dog and had a pile of grey medium lenght underfur from the black shepard mutt. I threw a fistfull ina baggie and with a trip up to southpark still waters the next day I spun up a half dozen of these. I used UV ice dub in pearl, purple and some peacock. Cuz slimers love the cock......

I tied this similiar to how exploded did the tail in the simi seal leech. Pull and stack to mix up the dubbing. Get a a loose clump and pinch it around the hookshank. I try and get it to almost spin on the hook so it is totally wrapped around it. Then I brush all the fibers back and secure. Reapeat 3-4 times working your way to the head. Go light on the dubbing. It is easy to over dress the fly like this.

PS I am taking orders for dog fur.. 5$ a baggie. haha

Last edited by bugz; 03-29-2015 at 08:39 PM.
bugz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2014, 06:00 AM   #10 (permalink)

I have used UV dubbing a ton in my tying... it is likely my favorite... the UV Ice Calibeatis color is redic.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in