Shady Pete - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2014, 08:13 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Shady Pete

Got skunked twice at the tub in C-springs. Only thing I saw and caught were some shad with my net. So back to the vice.. This is what I came up with.

Natural rabbit Zonker strip
Body, Pearl ice dub in a dubbing loop
Tied with a bead and propeller AKA Pistol Pete

Last edited by bugz; 04-16-2015 at 12:59 PM.
bugz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2014, 08:33 PM   #2 (permalink)

Bugz, I like your style man. You should post more, this place is getting moldy.

Skip the prop, add lead under wrap and big fucking eyes.

That is all.

SS
Old 09-05-2014, 09:10 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks SS,
I was talking with one of the other fisherman there today who mentioned having some luck with standard pistole petes under a bubble at Prospect. I don't fish them often but every once in a while they have saved an otherwise blank day. Most recently early this spring at 11 mile. At the end of the day I was down to two black bugger PP and one South Platte Special PP. Decided I better restock and then found out that Sportsmans wants more than $2 for a PP. So I bought propellers instead. Just got around to playing around with them today. Once I get a half dozen done I will do a dozen with lead and eyes.
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2014, 09:52 PM   #4 (permalink)

Tie little jig-fly propeller thingies for panfish. Have you ever caught a huge trout on prop-flies? Me neither. Terror-fish want meat.

"Saving the day" is salve for the Ego. Fuck the Ego. The Ego is a natural impediment to our development as anglers. The skunk has absolutely, positively NO significance. Shake your fist at the skunk. Ernest Hemingway got skunked. Zane Grey got skunked. I got skunked 18 times in a row a few years back, and rebounded with multiple PB's and great numbers overall. Not that that any of that matters to you.
Old 09-05-2014, 10:56 PM   #5 (permalink)

My biggest on a pistole pete was a 18" brown on the N Platte near Walden. It was a Platte Special Pete. I tied these flies on #6 hooks for the eyes at Prospect. A bit bigger than the Shad I was netting today.

I have pulled most of my large trout out of the Ark tailwater on #20-24 midges. But my Terror-fish have been caught on mice at nite....

Salve for the ego or not I do prefer to catch a fish over the skunk.. And Hemingway turned his head into a canoe... I can only guess that he was skunked for too long!

That day I was getting the skunk at 11 mile I noticed some spin fishers chucking spoons and kastmasters and reeling in as fast as they could, hooking up on half their casts. Tried a fast retrieve with several streamers with no love. Then I saw those pistole pete's I had not fished in a couple of years. I think I learned a lesson that day.

I attached the heavy metal eyeballs and assholes version of the shad.

Last edited by bugz; 06-07-2015 at 02:11 PM.
bugz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2014, 11:05 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugz View Post
My biggest on a pistole pete was a 18" brown on the N Platte near Walden. It was a Platte Special Pete. I tied these flies on #6 hooks for the eyes at Prospect. A bit bigger than the Shad I was netting today.

I have pulled most of my large trout out of the Ark tailwater on #20-24 midges. But my Terror-fish have been caught on mice at nite....

Salve for the ego or not I do prefer to catch a fish over the skunk.. And Hemingway turned his head into a canoe... I can only guess that he was skunked for too long!

That day I was getting the skunk at 11 mile I noticed some spin fishers chucking spoons and kastmasters and reeling in as fast as they could, hooking up on half their casts. Tried a fast retrieve with several streamers with no love. Then I saw those pistole pete's I had not fished in a couple of years. I think I learned a lesson that day.

I attached the heavy metal eyeballs and assholes version of the shad.
Pretty dope ties...

(I shan't be returning to this section of the forum though)
mrwigglestheworm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2014, 11:07 AM   #7 (permalink)

I like this style of fly, kind of like the double bunny but more a single bunny with ice dub. MT Rainbow Trout streamer is pretty similar and you can change up the colors to imitate a ton of different baitfish.

http://steelheadalleyflytying.blogsp...-streamer.html
explodedlad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2014, 01:15 PM   #8 (permalink)

I thought this was about a sale gone wrong from PB Pete.
andyrm66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2014, 07:36 PM   #9 (permalink)

Lousy name for a fly.

Life is hard, but it's a lot harder when you're stupid.......John Wayne
Pete-G is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2014, 12:09 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete-G View Post
Lousy name for a fly.
Hits too close to home?
explodedlad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in