Streamers - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2014, 12:18 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Streamers

Up until now I havent really tied any of my own streamers. Nothing special just tyin some bunny leeches for this weekend. Someone recommended I tie them so that the hook faces up. What do you think? Any other suggestions?

whompuscat658 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2014, 12:57 AM   #2 (permalink)

Depends on the species you are after and whether you are keeping them. I have found that on trout hook up streamers do alot of damage to the fish. Sometimes with trout I have had the hook come thru near the eye and it could not be removed without doing alot of damage. But it may not be as big an issue with something like pike with the long mouth. It definitely does reduce hang ups though.
Old 10-23-2014, 12:33 PM   #3 (permalink)

For bunny leaches I would go with a cone or bead head over the dumbell eyes. With dumbbell eyes I like to dub the thread and do a bunch of figure 8 wraps to build a head on them. Here is a black and white streamer that I am tying to replace the ones that the pike bite off last weekend at spinney. It is a hook up pattern. It is easiest to tie a bunch of hooks with dumbbell eyes, paint them and coat it in hard as nails and let dry. This will keep the dumbbell from moving. The body is ice dub in a dubbing loop. The red is Ice dub pulled to align fibers then tied in and folded back. The head is just the body material dubbed onto thread and wrapped. Then I poke the hook thru the rabbit strip, pull it tight and tie it in at the head. I am attaching a video on making a dubbing loop and a link to a fly using a furled dubbing loop for the tail. They are pretty easy to do and they make great body's or tails for streamers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_MHiSDgNCk

http://coloradoflyfishingreports.blo...y-step-by.html

Last edited by bugz; 04-16-2015 at 12:59 PM.
bugz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2014, 04:15 PM   #4 (permalink)

If you want those bunny leeches to ride hook up you should tie the barbel eyes on top of the hook. As they are they will probably ride hook down.

However, they are sweet and will def catch fish.
explodedlad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2014, 04:41 PM   #5 (permalink)

Here's a couple variations I did. Don't have much as far as materials so just working with what I have

whompuscat658 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in