Colorado Fishing Forum

Colorado Fishing Forum (https://www.coloradofisherman.com/forum/index.php)
-   Fly Tying (https://www.coloradofisherman.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Protect Your Materials! (https://www.coloradofisherman.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11201)

fishhunter 11-25-2006 08:56 PM

Protect Your Materials!

I got into the box tonight to start tying up some little nymphs and much to my chagrin, I find a bunch of stinking fly eggs in my feathers! The flies must have been after my turkey fan because they ate a bunch of the area where the clump was, then started on my pheasant tail clumps, deer hair, and everything else organic in my box! I lost hundreds of dollars in materials to these little ba$tard$....My stuff was out on the fly tying bench over much of the summer and I salvaged what I could, through the rest away, and locked the salvaged stuff into rubbermaid boxes with mothballs. Hope that helps, but take a lesson from me - check your stuff before it's too late!

pappy 11-26-2006 01:12 PM

Re: Protect Your Materials!

That is a bummer! Sorry to hear it, yet pleased you brought the subject up. I had the same thing happen to me a few years ago, and also lost a lot of material. The critters even ate the squirrel tails off of some of my Mepps spinners.

I agree that the stuff should be inspected regularly. The Moth Balls are a great solution, but do not assure the stuff is safe forever.

I think I did much the same in the cleanup as you, but went one step further. Every piece of material is now in it’s own zip lock bag. The bags are stored in a large plastic container, with a tin (perforated) of mothballs. That keeps the moths away from the materials, and prevents the materials from smelling like mothballs. The smell gets old after a while, and is not the healthiest stuff to breathe.

I found the different sized zip-locks by searching ebay. It cost me a few bucks to get all the different sizes I needed (generally only sold in bundles of 100), but considering the value already lost, it was cheap protection for the future.

One final thought. Do not consider any item purchased to be “clean” and safe. Consider it contaminated, and keep it in it’s own bag.

Here is a link to the probable critter causing the problem if anyone is interested in more info:

http://www.angelfire.com/mn/FiberHome/WoolBugs.html

Pete-G 11-26-2006 01:33 PM

Keep it in the fridge.

pappy 11-26-2006 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete-G
Keep it in the fridge.

There would be NO room left for Beer! :( :( >:(

Pete-G 11-26-2006 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pappy
Quote:

Keep it in the fridge.

There would be NO room left for Beer! :( :( >:(

Sometimes life choices are tough.

Beer or nice flies...beer or nice flies....

Mr. Ed 11-26-2006 02:37 PM

I choose beer -

Pappy, I have a couple of live animal traps you can borrow - it's legal to trap squirrels in your back yard. There is also some stuff called "Para-Tan" that works really well for skins.

Of course, if you do this, your neighbors will accuse you of being a serial killer.

I use plastic bags as well. If you have a lot of stuff you aren't going to use immediately, the vacuum sealer works pretty good too.

Pete-G 11-26-2006 03:08 PM

Ok, put it in the freezer. No beer in there. When you need a feather you can just break off a piece.

pappy 11-26-2006 06:06 PM

Mr. Ed,* Thanks for your offer.* I have a couple traps myself, and am doing my best to turn tree-rats into an extinct critter.* Peanut butter in a paper towel works great as a bait.* Will check out the Para-Tan, have a couple of salted items that need something to “un-ripen” them.* ;)

Pete, don’t think you understand the beer/frige/freezer thing real well.* The freezer is where you make ice to keep the beer cold in a cooler, the frige is where you keep the beer cold 'til you go fishin, and for fly-tying.* Takes a lot of ice, and no room left for feathers and fur. ;D

Coolers could be used for storing material I guess... but then ya gotta buy more coolers for beer. :D

Pete-G 11-26-2006 06:13 PM

That's why I buy my flies.

Lot's of room for beer.. ;D

pappy 11-26-2006 06:15 PM

Quote:

That's why I buy my flies.

Lot's of room for beer.. ;D

Keep the fly boxes in zip-lock bags when ya ain't usin' them. ;D ;D ;D