Got a Renzetti Vise! - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2006, 07:19 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Got a Renzetti Vise!

Ok, now how do I use it? Does anyone know a good website that discusses tying with a rotary vise? Thanks, Bill
fishhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2006, 11:37 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Got a Renzetti Vise!

I'm no expert tyer but the way I use mine goes like this . . .

Any material that wraps around the hook (chenille, hackle, ribbing, etc) is where the rotary function shines. Tie in your material, throw a half-hitch around the hook about where you expect to finish your material wraps, and hang the bobbin off the bobbin hanger directly out in front of the hook eye. Hold the material in one hand (or with hackle pliers) and turn the rotary handle to make your wraps.

I love it for leeches and buggers, also hackle-intensive dries like stimulators.

have fun,

TP
troutpocket is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2006, 11:42 AM   #3 (permalink)

Well that sounds easy enough! I imagine that the thread continues to turn around the hook as you turn it? Also, I heard that there was a great method for applying dubbing to the thread using a rotator, something that is more precise than pinch dubbing, but I can't seem to locate it here. Any help? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2006, 05:01 PM   #4 (permalink)

do a google search for "dubbing loop"

I can't explain it as well as the diagrams.

TP
troutpocket is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2006, 09:54 PM   #5 (permalink)

Renzetti makes a great vice. Ive never broken down and bought one, but ive done a lot of tying on a couple of different models the shop used to have in back. One thing to check is if it has true "center axis" rotation (im no rocket scientist, so please excuse me if i use incorrect terminology...) Basically, if you spin the vice the jaws should stay centered and not deviate at all from center...this will better allow you to use the rotation function to center your thread on the hook shank when you wrap a hook or make sure you get hackle spun on the hook evenly. (its much easier to wrap long hackles this way on dries when you use those long premium grade hackle feathers instead of trying to do it the normal way, which can be a pain in the butt)

I also like the rotating function when tying larger flies like clousers...you can turn the fly over without removing it from the vice. for epoxy flies it lets you rotate the fly so the epoxy dries evenly so it doesnt ball up on one side of the fly. either way its a great vice...enjoy it, you wont want to tie on anything else after you use it for awhile.
Old 12-28-2006, 11:23 PM   #6 (permalink)

whould u sell it
big k is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2006, 07:10 AM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks guys. I was a little disappointed that there were no tips or instructions with the vise, other than the normal assembly instructions. I'll keep messing with it - it sure is a lot nicer than the old no-name table clamp, slip jawed one that I was using!
Old 12-29-2006, 09:14 AM   #8 (permalink)

have you tried going to http://flytyingforum.com yet?

These guys have some great tips and would gladly help you out.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2006, 08:44 AM   #9 (permalink)

I learned to use mine through a lot of trial and error (and a lot of it was error, like forgetting the half hitch before rotating). Here is a website that I used to learn fly tying from (on a regulary vice). http://www.flyanglersonline.com/

You can do a search for rotary vice and it will bring up topics, tips, flies, etc. that use it. You might have to search through a lot of them to get the info you are looking for, but they might offer you some special techniques that you can apply to any fly you tie.
mtman12672 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2006, 11:21 AM   #10 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to work2fish

I have a Renzetti also -- congratulations!!! In addition to the great tips above, there is also a DVD you can buy to show some techniques which is mentioned on the Renzetti site:

http://www.renzetti.com/product.php?...t=0&bestseller

One of my New Year's resolutions is to get back into tying as it has been a couple of years for me. I remember those days well: looking carefully at everyday fibers and things I came across and wondering what I could make out of it (rugs, furs - even the family pet! )

BTW, one of the things I found useful was a rolltop desk which turns this:

into this:

and keeps curious pets and kids away from your stuff while leaving things exactly as they were when you stopped.

Good luck and have fun!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in