What is everyone tying to get ready? - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2015, 08:57 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default What is everyone tying to get ready?

I know my vice tends to collect some dust over the spring and summer months. I've been tying mainly stone flies, grhe's, prince's, caddis dry & emergers, rs2, soft hackle emerger, juju's, san juans, foam hoppers, various streamers, marabou jigs (for the crappie and bass) and never forget the dirty hippy!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg flies.jpg (65.6 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg fly.jpg (147.0 KB, 56 views)
fcollinscatcher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2015, 01:45 PM   #2 (permalink)

I lost my BWO/egg/sanjuan box that I rely on for the spring, so I bought a new box and have been filling it, pics are in another post. After killing it with store bought cork poppers on a front range pond i have decided to tie some spun deer hair poppers for this summer.

Last edited by bugz; 10-28-2015 at 01:00 PM.
bugz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2015, 02:14 PM   #3 (permalink)

Nice! Have you had the chance to try those out yet? How well do they push water?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2015, 04:44 PM   #4 (permalink)

Have not tried them out yet. Been out on the pond once and the water was still to cold for warm water fish surface action. I tied some larger patterns with magnum rabbit strip tails for bass last spring, they definitely pushed water and floated great and got some fish. The ones in the pic are tied on a size 14 streamer hook. the small poppers got more action last year but smaller average size. Still a lot of fun watching bluegill blow up a popper. It will be better as usual on flies I tied. Looking forward to it again this year!

Last edited by bugz; 10-28-2015 at 01:00 PM.
Old 04-11-2015, 06:19 PM   #5 (permalink)

Soft hackles..... You dont see them much in the bins. But they have been catching fish since fly fishing first started. For a reason! Anyway easy tie, vary the body material as you wish (suggestions, peacock, hairs ear, chartreuse wire or orange thread). Fishes great when caddis are emerging, which is alot of the time on most free stone streams. Fish them in a traditional nymph rig and then swing them. Put a bead head on them so they work as a anchor fly. Whatever, swing them.. they work great in weird currents and are very forgiving as far a presentation goes. Put them as a dropper on a caddis dry. You will be covering multiple lifestages. A dragged elkhair caddis looks like it is diving to lay eggs or even a small minnow(like a very small muddler), a soft hackle dropper just adds it all and works with the rig. Buggy, lots of movement. It just works however you fish it. cant go wrong. I rarely do not have some with me on the river.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPkdman84lc

Last edited by bugz; 04-11-2015 at 06:25 PM.
Old 04-11-2015, 06:28 PM   #6 (permalink)

Guides choice soft hackle...... The reason, quick tie and even with a bad drift it will catch fish...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdP-iTo7zlE
Old 04-12-2015, 03:52 AM   #7 (permalink)

I love tying rabbit strip streamers. They work great and are very simple. Caught my very first laker on a bunny leech.
whompuscat658 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2015, 08:41 AM   #8 (permalink)

That guides choice hares ear looks sweet, I'm going to tie a few up today. I am just now experimenting with soft hackles, they worked great on Friday on a heavily fished section.
Old 04-12-2015, 02:23 PM   #9 (permalink)

There is a GEM of a trick in that video... at about 3:35... I've never done that but will from now on. I love tricks like that, they typically are the difference between good flies and excellent ones.
Old 04-13-2015, 04:35 PM   #10 (permalink)

Nice videos, I bet you could vary that GRHE soft hackle with some darker colors and make a nice salmonfly nymph...

I've just been filling the voids in my fly boxes and tying up whatever's necessary:
-Midge/mysis patterns for the Blue River/Taylor/Frying Pan
-Caddis emergers for the Upper C
-Pat's Pickles and other salmonfly nymphs for Upper C
-Baetis emergers for everywhere

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in