Fat boy streamer - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2015, 03:36 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Fat boy streamer

Been playing around with these gamagatsu offset shank worm hooks. This is tied on a #2. Keel weighted with lead wraps. The off white part of the body is done by putting a mix of pearl/yellow ice dub in a dubbing loop. The rust brown and red ice dub was carded and tied in them folded over and secured. The top is Abert (black) squirrel tail. Eyes were painted with yellow and black nail polish. I think with some orange bucktail it could make a great goldfish for our urban bucket biologist waters.. I could call it the Fat Souless Ginger!

Last edited by bugz; 10-28-2015 at 01:01 PM.
bugz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2015, 10:50 AM   #2 (permalink)

Into this fly.
explodedlad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2015, 12:56 PM   #3 (permalink)

I'd be really interested in knowing how that thing looks in the water and how it sits when stripped. I have a ton of those hooks for texas rigs/senkos that, depending on how they work, might be turned into bass bugs!

Keep 'em coming Bugz, this is one section that I would like to see more active in the forum.
fcollinscatcher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2015, 01:28 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcollinscatcher View Post
I'd be really interested in knowing how that thing looks in the water and how it sits when stripped. I have a ton of those hooks for texas rigs/senkos that, depending on how they work, might be turned into bass bugs!

Keep 'em coming Bugz, this is one section that I would like to see more active in the forum.
Well I took some video of it at the Top secret Bugs streamer testing facility.. Aka the bathroom sink. But I could not load it, got a error message saying a security token was missing? Whats up with that Sheriff?

Anyway it strips flat, dark side/hook up. jigs when stopped and sinks pretty fast. I put .20 wire on most of the keel and about 5 turns of .35 near the 90 degree bend by be the hook eye. It does not feel like it will be to much of a PITA to cast on the 8wt, might be a bit much on a 5wt. But they have them in smaller sizes and by the look of it in the water it will not take much weight, or maybe even none at all to keep it hook point up as long as you go with a hair wing on top. If you keep to synthetic dub for the body which does not absorb water it should be castable on a 5 wt.

I would like to see more people contributing to this section too!
Old 04-28-2015, 02:03 PM   #5 (permalink)

I have been tying on those hooks for years for streamers. If you tie in some dumb bell eyes into the 90 degree bend they fish very well clouser style. if you go one step further and tie in a 20lb mono loop they become weedless. Nice tie by the way!
Old 04-28-2015, 05:08 PM   #6 (permalink)

Post some pics sorelips! I have done some with the dumb bell eyes as well. Did lead wraps on them too. Too heavy, so they have gone in the jig box for spinning gear. I will have to do some with just the dumb bell eyes. Tied one up with no weight and it rides hook up very well.
Old 04-28-2015, 05:59 PM   #7 (permalink)

Those are beyond sweet!
Old 04-29-2015, 07:49 AM   #8 (permalink)

The profile looks like a "low fat minnow" from the guys at Fly Fish Food- the hooks used are completely different but looks like it will destroy bass.
Old 04-29-2015, 12:13 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcollinscatcher View Post
The profile looks like a "low fat minnow" from the guys at Fly Fish Food- the hooks used are completely different but looks like it will destroy bass.
I did a some other flies that are very similar to the low fat minnow that I tied a couple of years ago. I based it on the Krytowski Minnow from Jay Zimmerman. It uses icelandic sheep hair. I used that and hair from our grey and white longhaired cat. http://coloradoflyfishingreports.blo...ki-minnow.html

I do hope that it works well on bass, wiper and pike! We will see. Those Gamakatsu hooks are seriously sharp, so it should destroy anything that bites it!

Here are some pics of those sheep/cathair flies, the two on the bottom are some that I did with zonker strips and ice dub. The pic with the vise is my latest version of the fat boy. I did not like how flat the top was and when it was wet it did not do great at covering the hook tip. THis should remedy it. the head is tied with semi seal in the same way as they did the head of the low fat minnow in the video I just looked up.

Last edited by bugz; 10-28-2015 at 01:01 PM.
bugz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2015, 12:49 PM   #10 (permalink)

That bottom fly looks killer, I will have to try and jump on the vise tonight and tie up some big stuff for milk chocolate run off and warm water. I'm still trying to load up my boxes with a few different kinds of nymphs, worms and hoppers.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in