Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

Umqua hooks

3K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  bugz 
#1 · (Edited)
Anyone used this type before? Just over 5 bucks for 50 of them so the price was right, just not sure on quality.

#2 ·
NOO!!!! KEEP AWAY !! They are very soft, and every pack i've looked at the hooks are misshapen or not fully formed. They are also about 3x thicker than the normal TMC Hooks. I even sent pics and samples back to Umpqua when they first cam on the market, tey were shocked too. Said they have no control over the process as they are outsourced overseas.

#4 ·
I concur with McMike. I purchased some at Sportsmans here in Grand Junction and took them home to tie with. I was highly unimpressed. Tossed the hooks away and went back to TMC which are the normal hooks I tie with.

The quality of the Umpqua hooks are just not up to TMC, Dai-Riki, or Daiichi hooks.

#5 ·
I use them almost exclusively because, just like you said, the price is right. I consistently catch fish with them too. Though you will get (Give or take) ~3-6 bad hooks per pack of 50. So if you start to notice you keep hooking up with fish and they keep spitting out the fly, toss that fly in the garbage and tie on a new one. I had to learn that the hard way on 2 separate occasions. I kept hooking up with fish, fish kept spitting the hook and I couldn't figure out why. Finally I examined the hook and noticed the point was dull and short, no wonder fish kept spitting it out. I tied on a new fly and boom, fish in the net.

#8 ·
Use them sparingly, mostly in steamer/leach sizes. Smaller sizes in cheaper hooks tend to bend/break. Please don't use Dai-Riki in the same sentence as Tiemco, Diiichi, etc. Sure, they catch fish, but not worth the risk. Sure, you have a $500 rod, $250 reel, $100 line and leader, $400. waders, $!00-200 boots, hundreds in tying material (maybe a lot more), numerous thousands in drift boats, rafts, trailer, etc...but hey, save .20 cents on a hook...haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

#9 ·
Used them. No noticeable problems larger than #18. Average number of bad hooks/100 as TMC. Usually bad eye or "pinched" just prior to eye. Softer than TMC making them not so good in sizes #18 and smaller.

#10 ·
We need a new thread in the flytying section! I have not had the time to spend at the vise lately. Someone needs to step up and post about what they are tying so I can live vicariously!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.