Streamers - Page 5 - Colorado Fishing Forum

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2016, 12:08 PM   #41 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
dallasdb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 2,651
Default

All these streamers look really great.

It got me pondering, what are they supposed to look like?
What are you tricking the fish into thinking it is?
In other words, what hatch are you trying to match?

I'm not a fly fisher, just fly curious
dallasdb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-14-2016, 12:19 PM   #42 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Denver
Posts: 541
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasdb View Post
All these streamers look really great.

It got me pondering, what are they supposed to look like?
What are you tricking the fish into thinking it is?
In other words, what hatch are you trying to match?

I'm not a fly fisher, just fly curious
Kelly Galloup, a well known fly tier and guide, wrote a great book called "Modern Streamers for Trophy Trout". He explains that a lot of these flies aren't designed to look specifically like baitfish: there are plenty of patterns out there that already do that (grey ghost, muddler minnow, etc.). When designing his flies he wanted them to be bigger, more aggressive looking with lots of movement and able to move a lot of water. These bigger trout are territorial, much like bears, and don't want some little punk fish moving into their spot and co-habitating. So they'll eat or strike at them because they're pissed off, not necessarily because they're hungry.

So the reality is these flies aren't meant to look like anything specific, they're meant to attract/target/piss off those big fish specifically and coax them into a strike (think Pike fishing). The results speak for themselves, they most certainly work.
__________________
"I am not against golf, since I cannot but suspect it keeps armies of the unworthy from discovering trout."
-Paul O'Neil
eastcoastangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2016, 12:37 PM   #43 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
dallasdb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 2,651
Default

Thanks for the response Eastcoastangler!
dallasdb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-14-2016, 03:37 PM   #44 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
CF LURKER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: COLORADO-USA
Posts: 2,179
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastangler View Post
Been back at it at the vice. There were some great tyers there showing off some really cool streamer patterns and different materials they use and how to use them. Made some adaptations of my own, borrowing a few of their ideas, a few ideas from tried and true patterns, etc. Came up with these, I plan to tie similar flies in olive and black. I think they'll do pretty well around here....

Nice ties!

The top looks like a Circus Peanut.

PS I like them, a lot.
__________________
"Nothing you do now, nothing you think or feel or wish or desire-no matter, especially, who you care to blame-changes the matter at hand."

S. Sadil
CF LURKER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2016, 03:40 PM   #45 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
CF LURKER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: COLORADO-USA
Posts: 2,179
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasdb View Post
All these streamers look really great.

It got me pondering, what are they supposed to look like?
What are you tricking the fish into thinking it is?
In other words, what hatch are you trying to match?

I'm not a fly fisher, just fly curious
There is nothing wrong with being fly curious.
__________________
"Nothing you do now, nothing you think or feel or wish or desire-no matter, especially, who you care to blame-changes the matter at hand."

S. Sadil
CF LURKER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2016, 01:31 PM   #46 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Montrose, Colorado
Posts: 238
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CF LURKER View Post
There is nothing wrong with being fly curious.
If you're ever this corny on the river.... I'm finding a new fishing buddy.

White "Circus Peanut".....that caught a brown that was picking the flesh off a dead rainbow. LOL That wasn't a brown, it was Beaky Buzzard in disguise.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UG2xVExfu8

Whatever works!!!!!
__________________
Forgive me if I can't find anything positive to say about your stupidity.

Last edited by SlabSeeker; 02-01-2016 at 10:26 PM.
SlabSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2016, 09:38 PM   #47 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Green Mountain, Co.
Posts: 48
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastangler View Post
Kelly Galloup, a well known fly tier and guide, wrote a great book called "Modern Streamers for Trophy Trout". He explains that a lot of these flies aren't designed to look specifically like baitfish: there are plenty of patterns out there that already do that (grey ghost, muddler minnow, etc.). When designing his flies he wanted them to be bigger, more aggressive looking with lots of movement and able to move a lot of water. These bigger trout are territorial, much like bears, and don't want some little punk fish moving into their spot and co-habitating. So they'll eat or strike at them because they're pissed off, not necessarily because they're hungry.

So the reality is these flies aren't meant to look like anything specific, they're meant to attract/target/piss off those big fish specifically and coax them into a strike (think Pike fishing). The results speak for themselves, they most certainly work.
I have watched his Q&A videos and become a fan. Good info in them, with a great deal of tips for tying. Such as how select the best deer/elk hair for spinning. I have that book as well.
__________________
Catch and Release.

Last edited by Losthwy; 06-03-2016 at 09:43 PM.
Losthwy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2016, 10:51 PM   #48 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
fcollinscatcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Fort Collins
Posts: 305
Default




Been whipping up some big junk for toothy critters.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
fcollinscatcher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2016, 10:11 PM   #49 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 177
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcollinscatcher View Post



Been whipping up some big junk for toothy critters.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Very nice. Bet it's sparse when wet.
chewydog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2016, 09:28 AM   #50 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
fcollinscatcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Fort Collins
Posts: 305
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewydog View Post
Very nice. Bet it's sparse when wet.
We will see! Hopefully it is easier to throw than a wet gym sock.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
fcollinscatcher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Streamers whompuscat658 Fly Tying 4 10-23-2014 04:41 PM

» Forum Search
» Insurance
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL3
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.