Does anyone spin deer hair? - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2007, 07:56 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Does anyone spin deer hair?

I am wanting to learn how to spin deer hair for like mice and other flies? Does anyone here know how to spin or stack deer hair? I am wanting to use them on bass and larger trout in the summer time.

Thanks
Jim
jbrowning is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2007, 09:52 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Does anyone spin deer hair?

Quick answer…

Stacking hair – Trim hair off hide close to the base. Put TIP end in stacker, and tap several times until all tips are at bottom. Turn stacker sideways and carefully pull center out. Grab tips and pull out evenly. Grasp bundle with fingers.

Spinning – After laying a thread base on hook, with thread wrapped back to point of spin, hold bundle of hair in the position you desire. Make 3 wraps of thread around bundle tightening every wraps some, then pull tight… The thread tightening will spin hair. Trim with scissors to suit shape desired.

Deer works easiest, but elk and antelope also work (actually almost any work, but hair with a spongy structure spins better, dense hair is tougher to do.

Practice, practice, practice. With a few tries, the mechanics will become evident, and you can adapt from there.

Enjoy!
pappy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2007, 10:08 PM   #3 (permalink)
Mr. Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy
Trim with scissors to suit shape desired.
I would add that deer hair is very course - don't use your best pair of scissors. Use something like a cheap pair of Fiskars or a scalpel or some straight edged razor blades. Your good scissors will get dull quickly.

Also, use a tougher thread or you'll get frustrated trying it (your thread will break). I like size A Nymo.

If you're making mice or deer hair poppers or a Goddard Caddis, don't worry about stacking it. If you're tying Elk Hair Caddis type patterns then it's worth it (you don't need size A Nymo for Elk Hair Caddis flies - you aren't applying as much pressure).
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2007, 11:37 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ed
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy
Trim with scissors to suit shape desired.
... or some straight edged razor blades.

Also, use a tougher thread or you'll get frustrated trying it (your thread will break). I like size A Nymo.
Good points... Had not thought to use a razor blade for the hair. Should be especially good for getting hair off hide.
pappy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2007, 10:55 AM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks for the replies. I have heard some people saying they use like a 10# test to tie their bass bugs. I don't remember if it was fireline or lazerline or just what. I'm thinking I will be tying up some of the mousies and build me like a 7 or 8 wt flyrod and go hunting for large trout like at eleven mile or spinney res. this summer.

Jim
jbrowning is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2007, 11:55 AM   #6 (permalink)

definently don't wast your time stacking the hair, as you will be trimming all ends to shape the fly. Definently use a fine but strong thread, and some people use a very light dab of head cement on each wrap. Also take your time and don't try and use to much hair at once, remember that it is a building up process and not a lumping on that makes spinning hair worth it.
Old 01-24-2007, 11:56 AM   #7 (permalink)
Mr. Ed

Jim - forgot to mention, the more hair you can clump together between spinnings the better.

A hair packer (different from a stacker) will help you pack the hair together pretty tightly between the clumps that you spin on the hook. If you pack it tightly, and can wrap the thread tight enough to the hook, you should be able to take that single edge razor blade and form a head (or body in the case of a mouse) pretty easily. You can rough out the shape with a pair of scissors (just be careful about your good ones - I've ruined a couple of expensive pairs).

Patience is the key - expect that you may break the thread, expect that you may bend the hook trying to get everything tight, and expect that you may not form the body or the head perfectly by trimming the first couple of times.

The results are pretty good - I had a buddy that taught me to tie some smaller poppers that worked great for bluegill, bass and crappie (that can easily be cast with a 5wt rod). I've seen a fishing report at North Sterling where they mentioned they were catching carp on them as well.

Good luck!
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2007, 09:41 PM   #8 (permalink)
Tak

Jim,
One of the best deer hair fly tiers of all times is Tim England who happens to be a fire fighter for the Poudre Fire District in Fort Collins, Colorado. He is considered by his fly tying contemporaries as at the top deer hair tier. Sadly, Tim doesn't do any more demo's or has not published his work but if you can find a past copy of Fly Tyer magazine, he has a very detailed discription and illustrations of his tying technique. Also look in Judith Dunham's Trout Flies to see examples of his work. Tim is the illustrator for Fly Rod and Reel and I consider him to be one of the best all-around fly tiers in the last thirty years.
If you happen to live in the area and can visit Fort Collins, I could show you those issues if I can find them. I can also put you in contact with a friend of mine who has learned and practices the techniques that Tim utlilized in his tying.
Best regards,
Tak
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2007, 11:18 PM   #9 (permalink)

try this address it has pictures*http://www.flyfishnorcal.org/php-nuke/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=42
sorry dont know how to hyper link
dryfli is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2007, 09:46 AM   #10 (permalink)

They make spinning hair specifically for spinning mice and other types of flies, I have found that if your not using spinning hair that it can be difficult to spin anything. Go to your local fly shop and ask them to give you a demo... after all good service is why we keep coming back right?
orvis4wt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in