Colorado Fishing Forum

Colorado Fishing Forum (https://www.coloradofisherman.com/forum/index.php)
-   Fly Tying (https://www.coloradofisherman.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Autum/winter ties. (https://www.coloradofisherman.com/forum/showthread.php?t=128578)

bugz 10-28-2015 02:03 PM

Autum/winter ties.

Well i am putting together a new box for the fall and winter season. Full of the full life cycles of BWO's and midges. A few anchor flies, mostly caddis larva. Annelids and eggs. Most will be from a consolidation of two boxes and some fresh ties to replace old favorites and some new patterns. So I am wondering what other people are tying and fishing this fall and winter. Feel free to post some pics!

First pic top to bottom: BWO soft hackle stuck in shuck, otter egg, BWO soft hackle cripple, Higa SOS.

Second pic is some new midges. I am calling them Fukushima Midges since the body is made from glow in the dark Mylar.

ScottH 10-28-2015 03:31 PM

Nice ties, man... :thumb:

dallasdb 10-28-2015 05:09 PM

Those look great bugz!

Oyey 10-29-2015 09:22 AM

they'll work... nice

eastcoastangler 10-30-2015 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bugz (Post 1652378)
Well i am putting together a new box for the fall and winter season. Full of the full life cycles of BWO's and midges. A few anchor flies, mostly caddis larva. Annelids and eggs. Most will be from a consolidation of two boxes and some fresh ties to replace old favorites and some new patterns. So I am wondering what other people are tying and fishing this fall and winter. Feel free to post some pics!

First pic top to bottom: BWO soft hackle stuck in shuck, otter egg, BWO soft hackle cripple, Higa SOS.

Second pic is some new midges. I am calling them Fukushima Midges since the body is made from glow in the dark Mylar.

I tied up some of those Higa SOS Baetis earlier in the season but haven't had much luck on them. However I haven't tried them too much. Have you had a lot of success with that fly?

bugz 10-30-2015 02:38 PM

Yes i have had good luck with the Higa. Fished it last winter on the Ark tailwater and above the res early spring. I think it is passable as either a midge or beatis. It has also caught fish for me on high country still waters.

eastcoastangler 10-30-2015 03:01 PM

Nice, also, I dig the wet fly baetis on top, looks like a fish catcher.

fcollinscatcher 10-30-2015 04:25 PM

Nice ties! I will be posting some of what I am working on once I clean the dust off my vice and get a new set of jaws- the edges have been mashed, and now won't hold anything smaller than a sz 16 without pinging out of my vice...I've contemplated using safety glasses!

I am going to be learning a couple of foam patterns/dahlberg divers for bass and than re stocking my trout boxes..copper johns, grhe's, pt's and than tie up some juju varieties and stoneflies.

Stay tuned...glad to see you getting this section going again, Bugz!

bardkin 10-30-2015 06:36 PM

Yea, nice job. I tied a few zebras and black beauties just a few nights ago along with some basic olive mayfly nymphs. Was gonna tie up a few buggers and leeches tomorrow before trick or treat time. Then i'm fishin all day Sunday with them.

herefishy 10-31-2015 06:20 PM

I didn't have much luck with the Higa SOS, either, maybe it was too big? What size did you tie yours in?