New fly fisher with used equipment. - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2017, 10:12 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default New fly fisher with used equipment.

A good friend of mine, Fred, father passed away this last year and Fred since he knew I was new to fly fishing gave me all this stuff. I said thanks and now the learning begins. What a task...so much to learn.

Pics are side ways, I'll try and fix that.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170105_104721.jpg (180.0 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg 20170105_104952.jpg (234.6 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg 20170105_105314.jpg (197.6 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 20170105_105447.jpg (211.0 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 20170105_105539.jpg (181.4 KB, 14 views)
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2017, 10:16 AM   #2 (permalink)

Maybe this will be better.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170105_104721.jpg (83.0 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg 20170105_104952.jpg (104.7 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg 20170105_105314.jpg (95.5 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg 20170105_105447.jpg (100.1 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg 20170105_105539.jpg (83.7 KB, 21 views)
Old 01-06-2017, 07:03 AM   #3 (permalink)

Nice setup - welcome to the sport. When I started fly fishing in earnest, I began with nymphs, as that is where the most fish live, subsurface. The first fly I learned to tie was the Prince, and it is still useful 35 years later. You can start fishing with store bought flies, and as you find a fly you like, watch youtube and it will probably be there for you to learn by. You have enough material to tie a lot of flies, so don't go out and buy a lot of stuff you might not need, till you do need it. One of the most important things you can learn just starting out is what materials can be substituted for each other.
herefishy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2017, 07:06 AM   #4 (permalink)

It looks like you have some sort of fly tying kit that just enough to get you started. If you're serious about getting into tying there are endless books and videos available. I will say there's nothing more rewarding then catching fish on something you've tied yourself. Best of luck.....
BigRedFan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2017, 07:26 AM   #5 (permalink)

Sweet set up! If you don't know how to tie, or if you are a true novice, I will give you the same advice I have given for years... Buy this book and study it. Work your way from the beginning to the end. All of the flies are great for CO waters and you will learn to tie the best way. It's a fun and rewarding hobby. When I discovered this book, I had tied for several years... I started from scratch and re-tied nearly all of my flies... they went from average to excellent as I worked through each pattern. This is an amazon link, but nearly every fly shop in CO has it.

https://www.amazon.com/Charlie-Crave.../dp/0979346029
Old 01-06-2017, 09:37 AM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks for all your encouragement and tips. Oyey: Yes, I'm a true novice. I have no idea even where to begin. So thanks for the link to the book. My learning curve is steep. But I'm looking forward to tying a fly and catching a trout with it.

I already have a lot of flies and at first I thought....why take the time and effort to tie a fly when I can just buy one for a couple bucks. But the more I thought about it I started looking forward to tying a few of my own.

Thanks again everyone.
Old 01-06-2017, 09:50 AM   #7 (permalink)

The best thing about the book is how it progresses. It's written in a way that is so easy to understand. He also does a lot of videos on youtube where you can watch him tie those exact patterns. It changed me as a fly tier.
Old 01-09-2017, 10:51 AM   #8 (permalink)

I second Oyey's advice as I bought the same book when I first started tying a few years back.

What really helped me get started and not look back was to attend a beginners fly tying course at a local fly shop. I went to St. Pete's for mine but I am sure just about every fly shop will have something similar that will help accelerate the learning process.

Good luck! Remember, you are only "saving money" if you stick to tying thread midges, glo bugs and san juan worms. The appeal to tying for me is to catch fish on something I created. It also helps to understand what fish eat, when and why and I believe that simply by tying I have become a better fisherman.
fcollinscatcher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2017, 05:23 PM   #9 (permalink)

Looks like a start and there is no limit to what you can find on YouTube. Good luck and remember, it's easy to post a question here....and you will be surprised at how many different answers you'll get. lol
Old 01-10-2017, 09:50 AM   #10 (permalink)

Well, I tied my very first fly...a woolly-bugger. I need a lot of practice.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170108_175731.jpg (102.2 KB, 21 views)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in