Wiggle Damsel - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2017, 10:41 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Wiggle Damsel

I tried a wiggle damsel for the first time. Thoughts? The final example in “Charlie’s Fly Box” looks fairly similar but the one that he uses at the beginning for the initial photo looks different. It’s fuller and has a lot more marabou. I made the tail stick out for the photo but it hangs loosely, normally. I feel like this could be a great pattern for many applications, regardless of whether or the real thing is present.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by whompuscat658; 11-19-2017 at 10:46 PM.
whompuscat658 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2017, 10:55 PM   #2 (permalink)

I like... I used to tie those, but they took too long for me lol... Anyways, not sure how long that fly is but as long as its in the 1" range, give or take, you're golden. My issue with the wiggle damsel is does it really wiggle.. I mean, it's jointed, but most of the time you fish them pretty slow and I tried stripping the ones I tied with quick strips, and it didn't wiggle.. Not sure if i was doing something wrong or what. the solid body ones tie super fast and they are sexy, so that's all I tie now, but if I could get a little wiggle I would go back to that fly.
Old 11-19-2017, 10:58 PM   #3 (permalink)

It’s probably an inch and half. I tied it on two of these...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2017, 11:13 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oyey View Post
I like... I used to tie those, but they took too long for me lol... Anyways, not sure how long that fly is but as long as its in the 1" range, give or take, you're golden. My issue with the wiggle damsel is does it really wiggle.. I mean, it's jointed, but most of the time you fish them pretty slow and I tried stripping the ones I tied with quick strips, and it didn't wiggle.. Not sure if i was doing something wrong or what. the solid body ones tie super fast and they are sexy, so that's all I tie now, but if I could get a little wiggle I would go back to that fly.

Thank you. I appreciate your input.

Old 11-20-2017, 11:58 PM   #5 (permalink)

I tied up a number of them this past summer after experiencing a damsel hatch on a lake with damsel nymphs wiggling everywhere in the water and fish slashing at 'em and I couldn't buy a bite on any damsel nymph immy I had, including one that pretty much looked about the same as the actual damn damsels! Figured the wiggle damsel would mimic the little wigglers better but my observations with it are about the same as Oyey's. Not that I didn't catch fish on them - I did, although on another lake that didn't have a major hatch going on at the time. So . . . not sure what to make from all of this, other than plan to be frustrated by damsel hatches in some circumstances. But anyway, your tie looks good.
knute is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2017, 08:59 AM   #6 (permalink)

I dig this video of damsels

S. Sadil
CF LURKER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2017, 10:38 PM   #7 (permalink)

Great video, had seen it some time ago. I haven't figured out how to get my dries to drift 3 inches above the water yet. I'll let everyone know when I get it figured out.
knute is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2017, 09:41 AM   #8 (permalink)

I think that if you want them to articulate/wiggle, you would need to cut the shaft off just behind the head and the gills and then use a full hook for the body. You would have the joint very close to the front of the fly...wouldn't take much to impart action and the weight of the fly is then in the rear.

Could possibly use an eagle claw snelled bait holder hook for the short shaft..head of the fly...there are barbs at the top of the shank for an anchor point.

Use a loop knot when tying to your tippet. Just a thought.

Last edited by hobiecat; 11-22-2017 at 09:46 AM.
hobiecat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2017, 03:55 PM   #9 (permalink)

I definitely use a loop knot with them... I always wanted to create some kind of eyes that look like two spoons.. could tie them facing forward and that would make for resistance.. like two small lips (lips like on traditional lures). The idea of a shorter front section is great.. that paired with my eyes and we may be on to something!
Old 11-22-2017, 05:09 PM   #10 (permalink)

What about smashing pistols Pete propeller flat and figure eight tying it in? The smallest ones might work good.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in