beginner fly tying kits? - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2007, 01:33 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default beginner fly tying kits?

hey all, any thoughts or advice on the beginner fly tying kits that are out there? i have zero tying experience and am interested in getting a start learning some simple patterns. seems there's some stuff out there in the 75-100 dollar range online and ebay and whatnot. thanks
scott t is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2007, 06:25 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: beginner fly tying kits?

Scott, You would be better off taking lessons from Tak ( Angler's Roost Ft. Collins) or someone like him. He will steer you to better tools of the trade. There are look a like whip finishers out there and only one is worth buying. Buying the right tools keeps you from quitting due to frustration. If anything, if you live in the Denver area go visit Charlie's Fly Box in Arvada. Charlie is the best and would never steer you wrong. Buy the right tools from the start and you'll be glad later.

Getting started isn't cheap. As time goes by, buy a little at a time, and you'll be set.

Don't forget to go to the fly tying demos in the winter you'll learn a lot, and meet the nicest people.
bigtree is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2007, 07:00 AM   #3 (permalink)

If your near the springs I'm sure I can sit down with you and show you how to get started, been at it 12 years, by no means the best, but I have taught a few of my friends. The thing that always gets one of my latest friends is that I show him the "other way" to tie the same fly that is easier for him. Are you near the springs?
koldkut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2007, 10:27 AM   #4 (permalink)

I agree with Bigtree. If you buy a kit, you will end up with cheap tools that you will want to replace soon after and some material that you will probably not use. I suggest buying the basic tools: a vice, ceramic bobbin, good pair of scissors, whip finisher, bodkin, and hackle pliers. Buy the material you need to tie the first 5 patterns you want to tie and you will be off to a good start. Add to your tools and material from there. On hackle, pick up a neck every once in awhile of different colors. They last a long time and have tons of use. Also get a second pair of scissors for cutting wire. Don't use your good pair for wire.
Cajun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2007, 01:26 PM   #5 (permalink)

I agree with getting quality instruments, but I still use my starter kit to tie flies at work. Not delicate ones, but easy ones like wooly buggers and San Juan worms. You can't lose with getting a cheapie.
silicone boy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2007, 02:53 PM   #6 (permalink)

Koldcut
Does that offer apply to anyone living in "The Springs " area?? And can u teach an older dog new tricks?? What kind of flies do u tie??
flybaite is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2007, 03:09 PM   #7 (permalink)

Sure, I can show you a few things, if you already know how to tie a few it makes it easier. I don't live in the springs but I'm sure I could find some time to swing by or if you want to travel the 40 miles eastward.

I can tie a little of everything and I know how to use the tools.
Old 05-15-2007, 03:29 PM   #8 (permalink)

Don"t know if it matters, I use sinking line most of the time & fish off the bottom. Mostly use peacok nymphs,woolly worms , black, olive, brown with a touch of red on the buttocks, single & doublehackle peacock nymphs. Use size 12,10,8 hooks. The older one gets, it's harder to see. If u r still willing, we could set something up. Give up working so my schedule is pretty much open. Live @ the end of Barnes & Markshuffle , kinda out east.
Old 05-15-2007, 03:44 PM   #9 (permalink)

You tie them up already? If you tie those up, then I'd say a little patientce and a magnifier and your on your way...
Old 05-15-2007, 03:49 PM   #10 (permalink)

Can U tell me if they will work @ Spinney & 11 mile? Usaually fish for Kokes but sure would like to hook up with a couple nice bigguns (trout) before I die. Nothin like catchin them on a flyrod. Lots of fun.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in