Beginner setups - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2008, 12:39 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Beginner setups

Hey guys,

I'm going to get into fly tying, and I'm just curious what a good setup would be. I'm looking to not spend more then a few hundred, but what would you suggest? Is there any good literature I should keep my eyes open for or order from somewhere?

I know that tying my own flies will definitely save me some dollas in the long run, but not looking to spend too much to get started.

Thanks,

Rob

Old 02-22-2008, 12:49 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Beginner setups

i would suggest cheap. when i started i got a 20 dollar starter kit with all the tools and a vise. i think when you are first tying your setup is not too important. down the line you will pick up things as you need them. pick a few flies and get materials for them and them just work on the basics. pheasant tails are good to start with. woolly buggers are easy. do alot of the same fly at the same time. like tie 10 pheasant tails. they will get better as you make your way through the flies. as far as literature just go to the library and check out a book and then use the internet for tips. there is a ton of info on the net. you shouldn't have to spent more than 30- 40 bucks to get started. that being said if you really get into it you will dump alot of money down the line. it seems i never stop bying new materials.
lostlure is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2008, 12:51 PM   #3 (permalink)

all the ugly flies you tie when you start will still catch flies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2008, 12:52 PM   #4 (permalink)

uuhhh i mean catch fish.
Old 02-22-2008, 08:02 PM   #5 (permalink)

Hey SLIMER, I was once told to start from little up.. I saw the other day at GANDER MOUNTAIN a starting kit for under $50. You get the basic Vise, Thread, feathers and soo much other little things, you prob wont even use..

I would suggest to start there and then after awhile you would then know where you want to be. The many different vises you will see out there are all made up by others before us who have crafted their own to fit their needs and thought it would benefit those after them. The Vises do vary in Prices from $25 ( As LOSTLURE stated ) to $500 + vises. I have started just a few months ago with the Starter kit and its been doing me great.

Heres alittle Article if you have time to read.
http://www.flyfisherman.com/ftb/hwvise/

Hope this helps

If you need Hooks to Practice on, just let me know.. I have Hooks I dont think I will ever use..

-Monkies_butt
monkies_butt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2008, 09:36 PM   #6 (permalink)

I found a starter kit at cabelas that was $25.  I don't know how good it is because I have never tied before.  There is a link in the post title "want to learn how to tie."
ctnugfan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2008, 07:25 AM   #7 (permalink)

Buy a fly tying kit and decide if your even going to like doing it first, once you start tying an learning more and buying more product you will want new tools and a good vise. At that time you will want new patterns and find them on the internet and books in the library also. I have had friends that wanted to tie though and got a kit and didn't like tying and handed the material down to me. Anyway have a good time with it and if you need any help pm me and I would more the happy to help you out, good luck !!!
orvis4wt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2008, 10:14 AM   #8 (permalink)

Buy a starter kit. I'm still working off my first starter kit. Just to clarify things, if you do get into it, your cost per fly will be low, but you won't ever break even on any of it... Every trip to the store will yield more materials and before you know if you will be wanting to add on a tying room to the house.
koldkut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2008, 10:20 AM   #9 (permalink)

Thanks for all the great info guys, and gals. You guys are the best. When I pick something out, I'll let you know.

Thanks for the pm's Mark and Fishing Gal,

Rob
Old 02-23-2008, 05:54 PM   #10 (permalink)

i was disapointed years ago with the vise that came with my starter kit. yes it worked but if i was to do it over again or set someone up as a gift. i would get a cheap tool/materials kit but spend a little more on the vise

just my thought.

also you might take a class, i think they provide tools and materials at some, would give you a chance to work with the tools and give you an idea of the type you want

Said I never had much use for one. Never said I didn't know how to use it.

Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat i
roadkill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in