Which fly for beginner? - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2008, 08:50 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Which fly for beginner?

I think I may be getting Charlies fly book for christmas

What would you guys recommend for a first fly to tie in his book? I fish the Ark and the South Platte mostly. I nymph more than dry generally....I was thinking about an RS2 because I am all out of those. Are those easy to tie?
rivrunnr1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2008, 09:00 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Which fly for beginner?

I would start with something a little larger until you get the hang of starting the thread and wrapping the thread on the shank near the bend of the hook. Maybe a red copper john in 14 or 16 or even a phesant tail.
koldkut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2008, 09:03 AM   #3 (permalink)

I think the book is intended to follow a sequence of skills in tying. Some of the patterns depend on knowing the techniques in previous flies. Start at the front of the book and review the skills you have. If you don't know how to do something, try tying some of the flies that involve that technique. You will get more from the book if you proceed in this manner. The book is about tying technique opposed to a list of recipes.

I think the RS2 is an easy tie, but as in most flies it is a matter of proportion. Tie them thin. You may also be interested in variations. There are a lot of them.

Tying is fun and challenging. Good Luck.

Jerry
21483 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2008, 09:05 AM   #4 (permalink)

Wooly bugger.
Old 12-11-2008, 09:08 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshin
I think the book is intended to follow a sequence of skills in tying. Some of the patterns depend on knowing the techniques in previous flies. Start at the front of the book and review the skills you have. If you don't know how to do something, try tying some of the flies that involve that technique. You will get more from the book if you proceed in this manner. The book is about tying technique opposed to a list of recipes.

I think the RS2 is an easy tie, but as in most flies it is a matter of proportion. Tie them thin. You may also be interested in variations. There are a lot of them.

Tying is fun and challenging. Good Luck.

Jerry
Great advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishnPhil
Wooly bugger.
That is one of the few flies that I have tied in the past. One of the only ones that I am able to tie decently
rivrunnr1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2008, 09:13 AM   #6 (permalink)

I haven't tied flies in a really long time...I probably won't be tying any time soon either.. However, I'd recommend tying three or four patterns that you'll actually use...Your go to or favorite patterns...As you stock up on those...Your skills will improve and then you can reach out and be creative...Yet all along you'll be fishing the flies you tied yourself.
hobiecat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2008, 09:13 AM   #7 (permalink)

Once you get Charlies book, you wont ask that question. Make sure to read the book, dont just go to the pictures of flies. There is a method to the madness and it is spelled out...WELL in the begining of the book. He has you start with a brassie for a reason, then he moves you on to the RS2, then to a pheasant tail etc. Each time he takes techniques from the previous fly and adds to it.

I highly recommend his book. More importantly, I highly recommend going about tying at his pace in his order. I had tied for two years when I got his book. It made me re-think a ton of what and why I do things. I went back and re-tied all my brassies and midges. I did it with most of my RS2's as well. You cant beat the process the book takes you through. It has truly made me a much better tier....

P.S. You better be in this fly swap!!!
Old 12-11-2008, 11:51 AM   #8 (permalink)

First fly I ever tied was a Red Butt Woolly Worm. Red yarn Tail, black chenille body. Grizzly hen hackle. Bead or no bead, this will still catch you fish. Doesn't look like anything, but enough like anything. Gets you used to tying in materials, wrapping thread, tailing, wrapping hackle, tying off.

No fiddly bits like wings, shellback, legs, or any of that stuff. Don't have to be fancy with proportions either.

Best part of Charlie's book is the fact that he starts you on easy, familiar stuff that catches fish. Even if you only tie up a pile of brassies and RS-II's and stop there, you'll still catch fish on the flies you tied. It's great because it introduces you to important things like proportions, handling materials, controlling your thread tension, etc. These are critical steps everybody needs to know.

I still recommend for you woolly enthusiasts to take a look at Gary Soucie's Woolly Wisdom, which is a book with something like 400 patterns for woolly worms, buggers, bivisibles (a British 'dry' version of a woolly worm), and a few things that seem only vaguely woolly. If your wife has already gotten you a copy of Charlie's book for say, b-day or anniversary, ask for Woolly... it's funny reading and has just about every woolly out there in the book. Given, it's not the Complete Orvis Book of Fly Tying, but sure is darn cool.

FishinGal
Got Fish?
More importantly, SET THE HOOK!

I still say he married me because he took me ice fishing and I still wanted to go fishing with him again!
fishingal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2008, 06:02 PM   #9 (permalink)
The Mayor

I tied a basic gold rib hares ear nymph, no bead, and in a number 12 for my first bug, it was in April this year. I kept tying it until I thought it looked like the one I bought at SW for reference. Then I added the bead head and tied them down to a number 18. I kept tying them until they were good, and the bad ones went to the bone pile. I used John van Vliet's book and CD called the art of Fly Tying. Charlie's book is better, but I learned many of the basic techniques from repetition. My bugs aren't perfect by any means, but I can tie most of what I need, even real small stuff. Guess my point is pick a pattern you'll use, but keep it simple at first. Repeat the pattern until you have it nailed (while your technique gets better and better).

Oh, and he addiction is worse than straight potato gas and copenhagen long cut
Old 12-11-2008, 06:09 PM   #10 (permalink)

Bone pile? Pick up that straight razor you use for cuttin your rocks and cut the meterial off and start over. my first 2 dozen flies were all tied on the same hook.
koldkut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in